Man Down.... So Man Build.

Dan Cattermole

Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble
Kev was not available tonight for our usual Monday entertainment, so I thought I built a ring light as @David Mitchell mentioned on an earlier thread.
I won't go into too much detail and bore the bones of you all, but I really enjoyed doing this.

The idea sprung to mind quite quickly when I thought what to use.... The face guard of a domestic fan.... Simple really.

Now... Let me just hold there a second and I shall return immediately...... Purpose of this? To see if the link works from photobucket before I find out it doesn't after I've posted a load........

So then... I bought a 60 LED Christmas light set for the total cost of 15 notes.

Firstly, I spent which felt like a lifetime attaching these with cable ties, then to realise I did not get the full potential of light out of the bulbs as they were at the wrong angle.

Turned on...

These things are quite bright in which I hoped for....
Anyway, off they came and readjusted to a better angle.

Now we're talking

I made a simple bracket for it to attached onto a studio light stand and here we have it.

And here are some images taken with the Nikon D7000, 35mm 1.8, ISO 500.

by DanCatt, on Flickr

by DanCatt, on Flickr

Yes, some may say I'm posing... But I'm more interested and amazed by the light that it has produced.
Shall be using this thing more often. :)

The only thing I would say about this is that it does need a power supply. But I'm sure a could use some battery operated lights too.

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Cheeky bugger!! I'm not that bad... Am I?...... Really?? Er. Okay. :oops:

Thanks Pete,

The foil was going to be for the mk 1 version in efforts to try and reflect the loss of light forward... But then I just started again and positioned the bulbs forward.... Thought it made sense rather than messing around with foil.

I can confirm that the fan that the guard has been dismantled from is out of service... :):)

That's awesome :) thanks for posting this up, I was thinking about the same sort of thing with those LED strips - all pre soldered lol I might try and make something like that as well - might also be interesting if you put some crinkled foil or something behind it to give some slightly softer light. Looks great though and as its a continuous light it is easy to get the shot you want :)

Cheers Dude.
I'm looking forward to seeing yours, especially with your idea with the soldered LEDs.

I have 120 wires and 60 LEDs bulbs on this circuit...... I may just double that up you know.. :):)

Last edited:
Runs off a 240v ac... Not sure that'd work...
However, I do have an inverter for the motor if we get close enough :)

Back