Critique Welcomed Meet Pop Tart

Brian Moore

Applecross, Scotland.

This is Pop Tart, the older calf we transported to be Calfie's companion.

Pop-Tart: A kind of fruit filled pastry that you toast as a breakfast fast food here in America.

This is Pop Tart just moments before she got her name. At the time of this photo she was an unnamed young cow whom we had separated from the herd and transported in the trailer to become a companion (and teacher of sorts) for Calfie, the young bull whom my brother in law had found abandoned and near death. After three months of bottle feeding and home care Calfie had become a healthy fellow,...bigger in fact than the other calves of his generation. Calfie's only companions hitherto had been human and canine. It was time for him to have a bovine companion from whom he could learn bovine behavior. Enter the larger white calf shown here.

With the white calf safely contained in the forward half of the trailer we transported her the 15 miles or so to the house where we would retrieve Calfie from the adjacent glebe and load him into rear half of the trailer. Then our objective was to transfer both calves to a nearby enclosure where they could graze together and keep each other company until Calfie was old enough to join the herd.

After taking this picture I moved to the other side of the trailer to help with something. I heard a commotion. My brother in law had let down the back door of the trailer and it had noisily hit the ground. The sudden bang alarmed the calf and to everyone's astonishment she jumped out of the trailer window. "Just like a pop-tart," said one of our companions (who is an American).

It took us a while but we got Pop Tart loaded back up and then Calfie too and transported them to the grazing enclosure. Here you see Pop Tart alighting on her new temporary home. That is my brother in law Mark in the trailer with her.

I think you've found your metier, Brian: Photographic Reporter to the farming community. Too bad you now live nowhere near (I'm assuming) a farm. But, seriously, this is a wonderful insight into what must be fairly common in the rural community. And the photos look great as well.

I think you've found your metier, Brian: Photographic Reporter to the farming community. Too bad you now live nowhere near (I'm assuming) a farm. But, seriously, this is a wonderful insight into what must be fairly common in the rural community. And the photos look great as well.
:) Thanks Rob.

Ah what a lovely pair of rural images Brian. Like the story and happenings and the way we are brought abruptly into the 21st century with the camera phone in hand at all times.

Thank you Julian. You just can't get away from the camera (phone) today.
I can. But as others say here, they are good and a fine documentary of joy, laughter and a good country life. I have a plea though whichever camera you used Brian. I wish that it would have been a little lighter in the darker areas. But well done and now you are a vegetarian I assume:D

I can. But as others say here, they are good and a fine documentary of joy, laughter and a good country life. I have a plea though whichever camera you used Brian. I wish that it would have been a little lighter in the darker areas. But well done and now you are a vegetarian I assume:D
Thanks Ivar. I'm bothered by the darkness too. I think its caused by a combination of using expired film and the fact that the film was slide film, which has less latitude than print film. I've got quite a few images from this roll that are too dark.

Thanks Ivar. I'm bothered by the darkness too. I think its caused by a combination of using expired film and the fact that the film was slide film, which has less latitude than print film. I've got quite a few images from this roll that are too dark.
But Brian, I thought you had experience with slidefilm? I grew up with it and used it professionally. But I guess you are too young!:D

But Brian, I thought you had experience with slidefilm? I grew up with it and used it professionally. But I guess you are too young!:D
Other expired rolls from this source turned out fine. I'm guessing this batch may have been stored in less favorable conditions. Had I known I would have underexposed by a stop or two. However, with film you can't know until you process it.

Back