Meyer Optik Görlitz

Inspired by Chris' 'blog' post, and the fact that I actually bought some 'new' photographic apparatus for the first time in ages - that's probably not true as I think I added a couple of items to the Nikon collection a shortish while back - I thought these might be interesting.

Paul at Commercial Cameras picked up some cameras from a collector a week or so back and amongst them was a seemingly unused set of lenses in Nikon fit from Meyer Optik Görlitz. If you are unfamiliar with the company they are one of the older optical manufacturers in Germany, founded in 1896. After the second world war they continued to manufacture lenses etc, but in the DDR - and this is where many people are more familiar with the name from. They were eventually absorbed into the Pentacon and Carl Zeiss (Jena) operations. However, post-reunification they re-emerged, albeit it briefly, as an independent manufacturer making modern versions of their classic designs, but didn't last long. They were rescued though and began making an interesting selection of classic lenses (the lenses below come from this period). Sadly the parent company went under and so manufacturing stopped. Last year another optical company in Germany bought the name and designs and have started re-manufacturing the lenses and so far have three on the market with more to come.

I bought a 'set' of five lenses from Paul. At the time these were purchased originally they produced the 58 mm Primoplan, but not the 75 mm. It seems they plan to make the 75 mm again though. The set comprises the 30 mm f1:3.5 Lydith, the 35 mm f1:2.8 Trioplan 35+, the 50 mm f1:2.9 Trioplan 50, the 58 mm f1:1.9 Primoplan 58 and the 100 mm f1:2.8 Trioplan 100. There is more information about them in the archive area of the Meyer Optik website (https://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.com/en/).

The one thing that first strikes you about the lenses is the presentation. They come in a distinctive black and white box that contains a nice, black cardboard box with a sort of 'vellum' covering. Inside that (except for the 100 mm, that is in a leather wrap) is a piano black finished wooden box with lovely fittings containing the quite diminutive lenses, documents, pouch, certificates and, in some cases, test images. Here's an example.

Meyer Optik-1.jpg

And here is the set of lenses. As you can see they are quite small.

Meyer Optik-2.jpg

And here are some close-up shots of the charmingly named, Lydith.

Meyer Optik-3.jpg

Meyer Optik-4.jpg

I'll try and dig out a Nikon body and take an image or two with them over the coming days if I feel up to it

They do look nice, and are beautifully packaged. Thanks for the history lesson, the entirety of which is new to me.

I hope you are fully recovered now, Pete, and can take some images for us.

Nothing wrong with a brain per se; the problem is finding a decent operating system. Every version I have tried is bugged to hell. :D

I do hope all goes smoothly for you Pete and you get well soon.

Thanks for the info, I had not heard of them. They do look like an old-school design, I will be intersted in seeing what you can do with them.

The Lydith kind of turned into the Pentacon 30mm f/3.5, I understand. I have one and I like it a lot and actually prefer it ergonomically to my old Lydith. The Oreston 50mm f/1.8 is a favourite of the few Meyer lenses I have though.

Back