Modified Sony RX0-II

I recently purchased a modified Sony RX0-II camera to use on top of a microscope. Here it is with a 50 mm MFT video lens mounted on it and I have included a matchbox for scale. I will mainly use it tethered to a computer as its screen is tiny.

These cameras come with a fixed Zeiss 24 mm (equivalent on 35 mm) autofocus lens and are basically a high-end action camera (more robust than GoPro and similar units). The modification done was to remove the lens and autofocus system and much of the casing and re-mount it into onto a micro four thirds (MFT) / C-fit / Bolex mount using parts manufactured by Bach-Bone in Canada. I had the conversion done by RageCams in Michigan, but you can buy the parts and convert your own RX0 should you wish. However, they do it all the time and can supply the camera and include a nice 7.5 mm MFT lens (not the one mounted here).

The RX0-II has what Sony call a 1.0 type sensor (and what other manufactures call 1" - a wildly misleading term as it refers to the outside diameter of the vacuum tube in old analogue video cameras!) which actually measures 13.2 mm x 8.8 mm and has 15.3 MP (nothing in that specification comes anywhere near an inch). It is slightly larger than the image area on 16 mm film and has a slightly wider aspect ratio, but not as wide as Super 16 mm. It can output 4K video to an external recorder but you would need to crop a bit to match other footage. The big advantage of these cameras is their size though (and if you don't chop them up, they are waterproof too) and you can get them into places that it is impossible to get even a small mirrorless system.

Once it is mounted to the microscope I'll see what I can come up with.

RibCage RX0-1.jpg

Well obviously I had planned to do all of those things, but unfortunately the camera grew a bit so...

RibCage RX0 Rigged-1.jpg

RibCage RX0 Rigged-2.jpg

RibCage RX0 Rigged-3.jpg

Despite all of the additions, the kit is remarkably light and the heaviest bit is the external battery and, when released from the tripod, is easy to hand-hold. The matte-box and rails are carbon fibre and the other bits are aluminium. It is a mix of rigging equipment from SmallRig and Nitze (I like their small follow-focus and their grip was the only one I could find with a cold-shoe mount and a reversible Arri rosette). The microphone is one of the smallest on-camera units that Røde make and the external recorder is an Atomos Ninja V which allows transcoded 4K raw footage from the camera to be recorded. At the moment the microphone is plugged into the camera, but it can go to the recorder instead, which might be more useful. An electronic viewfinder can be daisy-chained from the Ninja.

Back