More From Mongolia

Tom Dunne

Last from Mongolia, you'll be sick of the place by the time I'm finished; final lot

Bike.jpg
Outbuilding

girl.jpg
Storm Approaching; young girl pulls the cap over the yurt

mum.jpg
and Granny comes out to help

host.jpg
while Grandad poses

kids.jpg
kids come to say hello and offer sweets

Milking.jpg
milking time with Nomadic family

mumcooking.jpg
while Mum cooks dinner

umbrella.jpg
never leave home without your umbrella

baby.jpg
Baby in childs arms

Tom, I love these. Please don't let them be the last. The girl atop the yurt does it for me. What a superb shot! And mum cooking dinner out in the open - brilliant. They're all good.

Really glad you're enjoying these lads. I'm very happy to put up more because I have nothing new to offer. These are definitely the last lot from Mongolia but as I'm into it now I will continue with more photographs from the TS train trip.
Hope ye won't get fed up. The train left Beijing and after an overnight stop at a station to have the wheels changed on the train (different track guages in China and Mongolia we travelled overnight adjacant to the Gobi Desert and soon arrived in Ulan Bator.

view.jpg
View from the train

train.jpg
the train nearing Ulan Bator

guard.jpg
Us and one of the train Guards (there were many)

ub.jpg
The capital UB a bit of a kip really and does not hold good memories for us

seed.jpg
seed for the birds in the monastary in UB

monk.jpg
monk having a sly snooze

These images are stunning Tom! I could never get sick of photography this interesting and of such high quality.

Why was UB not good?

These images are stunning Tom! I could never get sick of photography this interesting and of such high quality.

Why was UB not good?
Thank you Brian for such kind and supportive comment.
UB is not a very nice capitol city. It probably does not feature too highly on the tourist brochures but apparantly that is now changing. Bad roads, broken footpaths and all very tacky.
On our first visit down town there were two attempts made to remove Aisling's shoulder bag in the space of an hour. The same evening as we were just approaching where we were staying a young lad tried to remove my camera from my shoulder. Luckily, each time we succeeded in holding on tight and prevented the theft.
There is a lot of poverty in UB with many homeless people living in the drains below manholes to keep warm and get the heat gain from the service pipes. Mongolia has great mineral wealth which I think is mined by China or Russian companies.

I can only say that these could or rather should belong in National Geographic so plenty more people could see them. As an eloquent man I would have looked forward to the text too. Magnificent pictures Tom that you ought to be proud of.Wish you would not stop.

Back