my glass i saw a: Contemplative Girl

Brian Moore

XAWalgreens200exp-008.jpg

When I left work Friday night I knew right away I had blown it. The sunset was spectacular but I had left too late to catch the spectacle from any kind of half decent vantage point. I resolved, however, to make my way up to the top of Signal Hill to catch any decent shots I could of the gloaming.

I had with me my FED 5b. It's been a while since I used it so I didn't remember what film was in it. However, it appeared that only 6 shots were used up and I wanted to finish whatever film was in it. I resolved to assume 200 ASA and estimate exposures from there.

I must tell you, even if I do say so myself, I composed and snapped many wonderful images with the FED of the sun's dying embers and the clouds in the gloaming light. Then I realized something. Either I was shooting a 43 exposure roll, or I didn't actually have any film in the camera! I struggled with this thought momentarily before succumbing to the inevitable and crushing truth.

In the car I had the XA, however. And a roll of old film--apparently unused--that I had pilfered out of an old camera in a junk shop. No idea how old the film was, or if it was any good or even if it was unused. But I loaded it in the XA and started snapping away. The above image is a result.

By the way, it was darker in real life than the picture suggests.

Last edited:
Serendipity strikes again and what you've ended up with is a really wonderful image, full of atmosphere and interest. Not only is the lighting great and composition spot-on with really interesting but very effective leading lines but you have got some fantastic blur where she is killing her legs and the tree is moving a tiny bit. It's so good it would even be worth removing the dust spots!! ;)

LOL! Thanks Pete. Actually I don't think that dust is mine. It belongs to Target. Almost every image I got back from this roll had dust. I scanned a number of the negs more than once, with a rub-a-dub-dub of the scanner glass and the negs in between. Dust remained. I think it was something in the processing.

Fantastic shot Bri. I'm loving the graim on it.
This has really pushed me to get my rolls developed now..... :) been taking a few film shots today as well.

Back