my glass i saw: Huntington Beach High School at Night

Brian Moore

XALegacyPro400-030.jpg

Huntington Beach High School is one of the older--if not the oldest--high schools in the district and the designs of the various building reflect a delightful 1920's architectural sensibility, with arched hallways and a commanding clock tower.

I took this shot of a common area within the campus just as Parents Night was coming to a close. I used my Olympus XA and Legacy Pro 400 film. I balanced the camera upon a wall to steady it.

I developed the film in Rodinal 1:100 for an hour and thirty minutes using a "stand" development technique.

I like the pockets of life!
it takes a second to notice the person level with the camera far right, but for some reason its that person that makes the shot

the shadow of the people sat on the wall is puzzling me ...!

Thanks Hamish. I think I know what you mean. I wouldn't have thought the light behind the sitters was strong enough to cast such dramatic shadows. What also puzzles me is the smudgy bit to the front of the shadows. There also appears to be an artifact of some kind between the sitters and the standers to their left. I'll have to check the neg for water marks.

Interesting shot Brian and quite intriguing lighting. There must be another light off to the left there somehwere as there is a shadow of the handrail on the wall behind the sitters that doesn't match the angle cast by the wall light either. I really like the figures in the centre; the way they are lit almost without shadows.

Thanks Pete. I have another view taken from just beyond where the upstairs person to the right is standing. That view shows the area between the two buildings on the left. I'll post it when I get home tonight. Perhaps it will, er, "shed some light" on the mystery.

I'm pretty sure this school was a level on Tony hawks skateboarding game on playstation.
The second shots definitely looks like the School level in Tony Hawks. I loved that game, Iwasn't very good at it but I loved it:p:D.

Back