New Canon AE-1 Program and Ektar 100

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Just got a Canon AE-1 Program off of eBay. Very impressed with it after one roll of Ektar 100. The lens is a Canon 50mm 1.8. I think it's going to be my new favourite toy, and once I've saved up a bit or sold something, I might get a nice lens. The camera is in mint condition, and has a very satisfying heft.

I just rattled these shots off on my way to the Kodak shop for development. The processing machine at Boots has broken for "at least a week" - not for the first time.

Completely unedited, just smaller-sized:

leaf.jpg

leaves.jpg

ugg.jpg

windows.jpg

wol3.jpg

gate.jpg

climber.jpg

bookshelf.jpg

bark.jpg

Last edited:
PS All shots were taken on the Program mode - it does everything for you - even made me a cup of tea :)

The only question is over focus. I find it hard to tell when something is completely in focus. I guess I'll learn how to read its split microprism focussing screen. It's very bright.

Looks like you got a winner! By the way, do you still have your T90? Whatever lens(es) you have (or had) for that cameras will fit on your new toy.

Thanks, Brian. No, I sold that. It was too fykie.

For those who would like to know: Dictionary of Scots Language, definition for Fykie:

2. Of a task or the like: tricky, troublesome, trying, intricate and difficult to manage (Sc. 1808 Jam.; Ork., n.and m.Sc., ‡s.Sc. 1953).Sc. 18th cent.

W. D. Geddes J. Geddes 43: When asked about the expedition, he said, “For the first mile or twa, ye see, it was funny, but efter that it grew fyky, an' I didna care about it.” Bnff. 1918

J. Mitchell Bydand 18: It's fikey wark for fouk like me. Sc. 1928

J. G. Horne Lan'wart Loon 8: His ain were gettin' past remeid, An' fikey cleanin' didna need. Ags. 1933

W. Muir Mrs Ritchie xii.: “A fyky wearisome job,” she said.

PS I much prefer the AE-1P over the T90. It just feels more solid in the hand. And although it needs the battery to work at all, doesn't feel electronic.

The Ektar is nice, obviously, but many of the shots have a slightly pink tinge, which I'm not overly happy with.

Lovely shots from that lens Rob....but isn't this a rather expensive route with developing costs...?

...and I understood "Fykie", but what about "ttishnalfdernart"...?

Back