New Instrument - Quite A Challenge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Rob. How different is this from the instrument you studied in Turkey? I like the (mostly!) running rhythm in the music. It seems that most of the melody is carried on the higher notes with the lower strings only coming in occasionally, or is that just from these two examples.

I studied the oud, which is a relatively small fretless lute. With the oud, you have to guess where the notes are, but with the tanbur each note has a fret. We in the West have 12 notes in the octave, but the Turks have 53!!! That makes for very small intervals, and no chords - a bit like Indian music, but without the drone.

95% of the playing is up and down the first pair of strings, with, as you observed, the lower notes just being used occasionally. I'm not used to moving continually up and down the fretboard, and that is one of the main problems to overcome if I want to progress. Also, the piece I played does not use the microtones - it's more or less in the C Major scale, but it's helping me get my bearings.

Glad you found it interesting! I wanted to do something which my students wouldn't touch ;)

In the second video - watch the fiddle player. The technique is odd in that you don't press the string down with the left hand, you just put the finger nail along the side of the string. Really strange, but very beautiful.

Venerable though these intruments are, and years to gain some form of mastery on them
a touch of irreverance Rob to keep it, as ghetto kids say "fresh & real" : Sex Pistols Anarchy in the U.K

Not judging you. Just your insensitivity towards Lesley on that thread in resolution
whihc i only just read.
I kept my email to you light instead of making it heavy saying by saying you naughty boy you derserve a birching

Really interesting Rob. I love the sound of the fiddle player in the second video, a beautiful sound from what appears such a simple instrument. That is if you can call any instrument simple.
What I wondered is how you chose the instrument. How do you know the quality of that particular one or did you try it first?

Another interesting post Rob. Love seeing this experimental artistic side of you. It does explain your photography journey...at least IMHO.

@Julian de'Courcy - Thanks. The fiddle, or kemench, is indeed very beautiful, and very difficult to play well. As for my tanbur - it was cheapest one I could find :) Luckily it turned out OK, and is from a reliable company in Istanbul. I realise it is not a professional instrument, but at my level it will certainly suffice...for the time being. We shall see if my skills develop.

@Glenn Clabo - Thanks, Glenn. I enjoy being a student. It's something I miss, being a teacher, and I think it helps my teaching, even if none of my students are remotely interested in this instrument. It reminds me what it's like not having a clue what to do.

@Lesley Jones - Ahmad is referring to the thread you started when you had decided to give up. I said I was sorry to see you go (check the thread). He interpreted this in a negative light, and felt so strongly about it he had to pm me some snide remarks. I wish he hadn't, but there you go. If you were offended by my statement, I'd be very sad indeed, and somewhat surprised! I was very happy to see you keep on contributing. This is my final comment on it.

Enjoyed that Rob interesting & not something you come across everyday. Many talents you have Sir & don't worry about other comments, just ignore & enjoy. don't think you have a mean streak LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back