New style home page

There will be more categories generated as more are required...
So how do we think it's all coming together then? I'm pretty pleased I have to say... But does it all make sence to everyone else?

i think it's all coming together pretty well. The only thing that strikes me (having been back to see why I was confused about articles) is that it might be worth titling that section, Latest Articles as I still expect them to be latest threads. Maybe I'm just being dim though!

I get ya, but the future holds more for that space... Letest camera releases, latest reviews etc... I guess they will all be articles... Hmm il think on that one

I find that the sites picture upload facility is quite destructive and can add noise and artifacts as well as changing colours. Let us know if you find a way to upload OK. Its quite image dependant as well with some pics coming out worse off than others.

It's a bugger, the best way is to upload to the 900px wide limit size in srgb... Unfortunatly we are limited by the vb4 software :(

I'm enjoying the site and the improvements so far. A few points or suggestions:

1. It took me ages to find the link to the Articles. I'd suggest putting it on the main black menu bar, next to Blogs.

2. On this PC at home (Firefox) the new Galleries dropdown displays fine, it didn't at work in IE7, it was mangled. I can't insert a screenprint at work, the PCs are heavily locked down; maybe someone else using IE 7 can say if it is displaying OK?

3. I've not tried using the Gallery myself yet. With all my photos on my own site, I've yet to see a need; to meet the site's 600 width restriction I've saved them afresh and uploaded them to Photobucket. As I have my own site in my signature, anyone wanting to see my work can do so that way.

Keep up the good work!

That was the idea of putting them on the first page...
We haven't worked out how to get an articles thing in the main menu yet

Bloody ie7 it's always the source of issues

600 is only the limit for the blog
800 (I think) it is for the rest...
There is no pressure or need to use the gallery just as everything else, it's optional

Thanks for the input :)

OK ta. Regarding images, if I have a photo elsewhere on the web (say, my own site), if I link to it in a post, does it have to have a maximum width of 800 pixels, or will it just resize the image for display purposes?

The FAQ says

There are 2 ways to show your images within a thread

The first is to display an image that is already on the internet somewhere, this is very easy and can be done by typing the url of an image and surrounding it by "
for example
image.jpg

The second is to share your own photos within posts. To do this we encourage the use an image hosting website like Photobucket. Sign up to it, follow the instructions on how to upload you images. When you have an image uploaded select it and copy the "IMG" code and paste it into you post. You will notice that in the same way as sharing an image stored somewhere else on the internet this also puts "
" after it ... that is how vBulletin (the software we used to create this forum) recognises it as an image

Please make sure that all images have a maximum width of 800 pixels and preferably a maximum height of 600 pixels

Indeed, working day in day out with a developer, I am aware of the frustrations and time contraints ... Bigs need time to fix ... You have seen the back end of vb4 ... It's a bloody mine field, but, it is very comprehensive and will no doubt only get better!
The bonus for you guys is that my company is proportionately leading edge web development and design... The upshot of that is that this place is technically part of our portfolio ... Although I don't like to think of it as that as I use it to escape from work as part of my hobby... If that makes sence .... But, as part of our portfolio we are driven that extra amount to make it something even better!
I perhaps shouldn't be thy forthcoming, I really don't want anyone to think I have an ulterior motive behind this project... I have wanted to start a photography forum, and have wanted it to be a community type thing like this place is turning out to be for more than a few years... Certainly longer than I have been working with Greg... Greg coming along and helping me put it together has just been the catalyst and the fact it is good enough to showcase what we do is a bonus ...
I'm glad people like it so far! And it will get even better as time goes on, that I can guaruntee! :)

Back