New Theme - Calla Lily

Following on from an interesting video posted by Martin (http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/reinteprerations.20281/), I thought it would be fascinating to see how each of us might capture / reinterpret an image of a classic theme, the Calla Lily. Maybe a detail, a group, an abstract or something incorporating a Calla Lily. No other limits or restrictions, just that at least one of these flowers needs to be present and it must be a newly created image - I know some of us have photos of this flower in our library already. What do we think?

I suggest we run the theme until Easter Monday, 6th April 2015, and then see what we come up with. Post your image in a new thread in whichever forum you think suits it best and use the 'Calla Lily' prefix in the title.

For inspiration, here is a Calla Lily photographed by Tina Modotti in 1924 (and seemingly much admired by Madonna!). I saw an original print in an exhibition of her work in San Gallan last year - very nice but I'm not sure I'd have paid what Madonna did for a print.

tina-modotti-calla-lily-photographs-silver-print-zoom_550_685.jpg

When is a lily not a lily?

"Zantedeschia aethiopica is one of the world's most iconic and widely known plants. Although commonly known as the arum lily or calla lily, it is not a lily at all but an aroid, with its brilliant white spathe (floral bract) surrounding the central pale yellow spadix (floral spike) bearing tiny flowers.

This very attractive plant has been known to European horticulture since at least the 1660s. Carl Linnaeus described it in 1753 as Calla aethiopica and it has been commonly known as the calla lily ever since. The species epithet 'aethiopica' refers to the fact that it is native to Africa. In 1826 Sprengel transferred it to a new genus which he called Zantedeschia. According to Cythna Letty (1973), the name was probably given in honour of Giovanni Zantedeschi, an Italian botanist who lived in the early 19th century."

From http://www.kew.org/science-conservation/plants-fungi/zantedeschia-aethiopica-arum-lily

Just a reminder about the theme, which runs until 6th April. I vaguely remember a certain @Brian Moore and @Martin Pancisin saying they intended to participate! And @Detlef Kuhl has no excuse now either! ;) Maybe @Chris Dodkin could incorporate a Calla Lily in his next photoshoot. :)
I suspect @Chris Dodkin will do a photo shoot of Lily Calla and post that! (I'm sure there's a Lily Calla living somewhere in the Southern California region.) I'm in @Pete Askew. I'm still looking for a good lily.

Back