New toy!

Rudi Venter

As some of you might know, other than photography I love flying. Here is a photo of my new toy shortly after it arrived at my flying field.

wb0p3708c_std.jpg

It is a RV7A, a nice sporty plane that flies like a fighter plane, sensitive and responsive, a "sports car" of the air.

Very Nice...

Very Nice indeed....
Hey Rudi, I've been looking for someone to fly me over the Chinese Wall (the Montana one!). Does that plane have a second seat?

Very Nice indeed....
Hey Rudi, I've been looking for someone to fly me over the Chinese Wall (the Montana one!). Does that plane have a second seat?

Hi Ralph! Thanks!

Yes, it does have a second seat, but for that "mission" I think we should use the plane below, far better for "bush flying", in case we want to land somewhere, and you can open the doors in flight for better photos :)

dsc_9625_std.jpg

Last edited:
Now that would be a truly epic journey. Pretoria to Montana in a light aircraft!! ;)

Nice new toy by the way.

Thanks Pete,

Yes, in the second plane I posted it would be quite a mission, I have done it in the first plane from Miami to Pretoria "over the top" so it can be done :) Two of my friends just flew around the world in a smaller and slower plane than the RV7.

Thanks Pete,

Yes, in the second plane I posted it would be quite a mission, I have done it in the first plane from Miami to Pretoria "over the top" so it can be done :) Two of my friends just flew around the world in a smaller and slower plane than the RV7.

Well, looks like you could be on then for the Chinese Wall trip. How about you fly and Ralph pays the fuel!! Sounds fair doesn't it!! :)

How long did the Miami Pretoria trip take Rudi?

Well, looks like you could be on then for the Chinese Wall trip. How about you fly and Ralph pays the fuel!! Sounds fair doesn't it!! :)

How long did the Miami Pretoria trip take Rudi?

That sounds good to me!

It took 10 days, including rest days and bad weather. Actual flying time was around 50 hours but it did include some "playing" time. A exact similar plane recently flew from Capetown to London and back to Capetown, an almost similar distance in 3 days and 11 hours, including sleeping time for the pilot!

That's interesting Rudi. I once saw a documentary where they were looking to start the old flying boat route from Southampton to Mombassa where they hopped from the Southampton to the Med. and then to the various old lake and river stopping points such that the journey took about 4 days including overnight breaks. They used a Catalina rather than a Sunderland though as there was only one of the latter still air worthy.

That's interesting Rudi. I once saw a documentary where they were looking to start the old flying boat route from Southampton to Mombassa where they hopped from the Southampton to the Med. and then to the various old lake and river stopping points such that the journey took about 4 days including overnight breaks. They used a Catalina rather than a Sunderland though as there was only one of the latter still air worthy.

Those were the days, I would have loved to fly to Europe in a Sunderland or even a Catalina! We have an airworthy, just rebuild, Catalina at one of the local airports, waiting for some paperwork before the first flight, lots of plans..... Hoping the plans work out!

RV7A... that wouldn't be your initials would it Rudy???

Very nice indeed, flying isn't my thing, too much vertigo, but I can see how you'd have a lot of fun in that. I have enjoyed trips in light aircraft (Maldivian air taxis for instance) but I'd be scared stiff to pilot one!

Ouch! if I have to pay the fuel I'll have declare bankruptcy. How bout if I give Rudi 35% of the sales of the photos? That sounds fair to me. ;>)

Back