Next generation

Julian Tanase

Some call them hipsters. Some say theirs is a generation that is unable to cope with the demands and moral requirements of today, and so they turn back to what to them were the "good old days" of their dad's or grand dad's youth. Some claim they delve into vintage stuff just because they look cool doing so; trying to revive our old vinyl stereo decks, dad's old gummed-up Sony cassette player, dressing up in out of fashion clothing, wearing T-shirts with Queen, Che Guevara and Led Zeppelin, reading Kafka or Steinbeck, and so forth. And many of them are showing a keen curiosity and interest in the film photography.

To me, this generation is clearly looking for its own path. If they look back and find stuff that gives them the coordinates to navigate today towards an uncertain tomorrow, I say they're all right. They may appear to be annoying, fickle, even rude at times, difficult, shallow and without much (apparent) appreciation of what they have and take for granted things which we fought for or worked hard to get, but let me tell you this: I still remember my own parents telling me exactly those things about my generation. So I say just let them find their own way, and see any of the hip stuff they come up with as a sign of them being smart enough to understand the world needs to be adjusted according to the new, while not letting the past slip by in the oblivion. I, for one, am glad they understand this.

Among many other things, some of them could very well be the next generation of film photographers.

Rolleiflex 2.8F, Agfa APX 400​

DSC_6000.JPG

Last edited:
I remember my parents and grandparents worrying about my generation - but I think they were right to some extent. We take time to grow up and put logic before emotion (indeed if we can ever manage it). A nice shot and interpretation, but I worry about them and their children having to handle the mess we are handing over to them.

Of course we are worried about them, considering what world came to be these days. As parents, we do this by default; as human beings, part of social fabric, we try to understand what they're about. Indeed, the mess we'll leave behind us concerns us (well, perhaps only some of us), and I hope they will untangle the Gordian knot which are own mistakes and f**k-ups.

Perhaps these young people are looking back, at things of the past, to impersonate a generation that, like ours, could look forward with more optimism than we and they can today.
Nice photo, Julian!

This is a nice picture. As you say, it's never good to be too rude about 'the youth of today', especially when our generation (I'm 61) has likely burnt their entire future.

I think that the interest in old technology is partly because it helps people think of a time there was still a brighter future, partly because it's a way of escaping from the soul-sucking hours everyone spends watching their phone, but also perhaps because at least some old technology is very beautiful and tactile, in a way that things are not now.

Back