Non destructive workflow

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
So... is there such a thing and how much does it cost in terms of software, time and memory? Until recently I was a total novice in terms of editing. Some kind soul at work gave me a free CD off the front of a magazine to get me started. It was something like Elements 2.0 Lite and I used it for a while to enter photographs in our fortnightly newsgroup competitions. Then my husband bought me Elements 3.0 and later I upgraded to Elements 6.0, which I used until Christmas last year.

Until about two years ago, I couldn't get my head around layers and made all changes on the background layer, so when you see me say in here that I have to re-scan a negative, you know why. Then I moved on to having adjustment layers for levels and hue/saturation. About a year ago the penny dropped and I finally figured out how to paint in adjustments using a mask. I still don't use any selection tool and I don't think I ever will.

Move forward to last October and a three day trip to Yorkshire where I finally got the chance at some "proper" landscapes...
... and banding in the sky. :( It seemed as though working in 8 bit was the problem, so I bit the bullet and bought myself CS5. Now seeing as I only used about 5% of Elements, I probably use 1% of full Photoshop. It did get me on the ladder though, but I don't intend to upgrade. Ever. Not at those prices!

My husband bought me a Martin Evening book for Christmas and I spent the entire holiday browsing from one end to the other. I know a bit more, but I also know there is a whole lot more that will forever remain a mystery. At least I won't have banding in the sky again.

My thoughts on the title of this thread are that I don't like it. I mean... you can use such a workflow to totally trash an image and you can edit carefully on the background layer and not block or blow a single pixel. I would rather think of it as liquid editing. I think I now have total "editability", but it costs a lot in memory. I don't shoot a lot - my A700 is now four years old and I think I am up to image 1,350 or something like that. So for me, file size isn't a huge problem, but I do worry when my images creep over 350 Mb. Some are over 400 Mb.

Perhaps I shouldn't detail my workflow because apart from that book (which said nothing on the subject), I don't have time to research anywhere else. I may be doing it totally wrong, but it seems to work for me. In an effort to spark a bit of debate and maybe help a few of us learn something in the process, this is what I do:

RAW processing with presets for lens correction, removal of sharpening and removal of noise. My eyesight is very poor, so I took settings from the book and went with that. Unless I need another exposure to fix blown highlights, I do very little in RAW and certainly no graduated filters. Just white balance, a little mid tone contrast and nothing blocked or blown. File saved as DNG.

File opened in CS5 and pre-sharpening done with Photokit. This creates such a huge file that I merge down. It seems pointless having the ability to go back and change this one.

Then I convert the layer to a smart object and the file size shoots up alarmingly. No matter though - you can then add multiple filters without increasing the file size more than a few Kb.

To edit pixels, I right click on the new smart object and edit. This gives me another tab which is a PSB file. Then I create a transparent layer and make the pixel changes on that. Closing the tab gives you the option to save.

I rarely crop, but sometimes I shave off a small amount to remove any distraction. It took me ages to use the crop tool properly as I didn't realise it cropped AND resized. Is it just me, or is this just wrong? Anyway... crop tool with ratios set for 35mm format and the resolution box blank - this won't resize the image. I hide the unwanted area so I can go back if I wish.

At this point I would correct any issues with the horizon. Again - this can be adjusted later if necessary.

I don't do a huge amount with filters - I tend to stick with the ones that allow you to play with light, so graduated neutral density, darken/lighten and sometimes the reflectors in either gold or silver. At the end I sometimes add a tonal contrast filter. Each one remains editable under the smart object and the individual control points can be changed as well. I like control points. :)

Then I will add adjustment layers - levels and hue/saturation. Rarely I will make other adjustments and apply them to selected parts with a mask.

At this point I am probably done. (Please forgive any errors as I'm not doing this in front of Photoshop). The cost of software to enable smart objects is high, but there are other benefits and I'm glad I made the move. It can be fairly time consuming, but as I don't shoot a lot, I edit even less and it gives me a chance to unwind in the evenings. File size is still horrendous though and I save as a PSD (there may be issues with this - does anyone have any thoughts?)

How does your workflow compare? :)

Well that all sounds pretty sensible to me. Many people here use Adobe Lightroom which I guess you could think of as Adobe Camera Raw combined with Bridge on steroids. It is totally non-destructive and does not touch the original raw file it merely remembers the instruction set of changes you wish to make. These are then applied when you either print or export. LR forms the basis of my work-flow but I still do quite some work in PS but launched from within LR. I leave the layers etc intact when I have completed the edit and saved the file back to LR. In that way I can go back to the new edited file through PS and tweak sliders etc and the version held in the LR gallery takes up those changes. The useful part of LR is the organisational component and the ability to make multiple virtual copies of images while taking up very little extra space. Try the free trial version (fully functional). I think you will find it fairly intuitive based on what you described above.

Digital photography, photo software | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4

£99 ... is the answer to your first question i think ...
follow Petes link

I think maybe as im used to working with large quantities of images through work I have almost got my self an addiction to LR...
having just bought 4 and finding it even better than 3 by a margin I cant see me using a great deal else for a little while

photoshop is a sledgehammer/nut situation for most of what i do ... although we are going to be upgrading the whole office to CS6 master suite (wooo!!!) when it comes out which looks as though it has gotten more intuitive for the photographer so i may change my mind then ...

there is a great feature in lr that i know you will like ...
when you press the 'J' key on your keyboard it shows you all the highlights as red and all shadows as blue
and you wait until you get your mouse on the "highlights" "shadows" "whites" and "darks" controls ... I think you will like it!

Is it really that price? I thought I looked at it a while ago and it was nearly £200. I still can't afford it though. I have chemo drugs to buy tonight and emergency and planned vet visits have already cleaned me out for the month. Anyway... CS5 falls over if I work with Bridge open. Heaven only knows what it would do with yet more software. At least I'm glad I went for CS5 at Christmas for around £550. I see the most basic version of CS6 is going to be around £1,032...

Lightroom is actually very lightweight on resources ... The only time I struggle with it is when I have c.1000 images "open" in it ... Less than 500 and it runs a treat... It's the way it works see ...
Yep £99
Worth a go on the trial if nothing else IMO

I agree with everything Pete has pointed out and I too would recommend LR4 (Lightroom 4), it is inexpensive and very powerful for most uses. If used in conjunction with photoshop you need absolutely nothing else other than becoming skilled at both which is an infinite learning curve with photoshop (a big plus in my opinion).

I've been shooting digital professionally for at least 10 years now and I've tired just about anything under the sun and in my opinion Adobe offers the best, most extensive and complete set of tools for post processing digital photos especially when you combine the products in your workflow

Pete pointed this out which most people don't about LR4 is its amazing ability to organize your photos, the ability to tag and filter images as well as using catalogues makes it the ideal piece of software in fact the biggest reason why I switched to LR4 as my main and go-to program is its ability to catalogue and organize large numbers of photos is very phenomenal.

of course to answer your first question it makes non-destructive edits and everything is forward-compatible with future versions of LR if and when you upgrade, I personally like the ability to convert to DNG during import + copy to second location (for back up) and to go a step further it has an automatic backup feature it performs regularly.

Lightroom 4 is superb! I've beeb using Lightroom since version 1 and it just gets better. The white balance on a brush is worth the upgrade from 3 to 4 alone for me!

Back