Not sure about this

Gianluca Drago

Taken today in the afternoon. The sky was interesting, but not interesting enough. The people around the square were extremely interesting, but I didn't have the courage to approach them and ask them if they wanted to be photographed. Does it look like a tourist postcard? It probably does. Is there a lack of meaning? Probably yes. So, criticism is welcome. I am eager to learn.

dc-lx100m2-PAN9474_01.jpg

Its a nice photo, Gianluca. If it were mine I'd have tried lightening the shadow areas.

Thank you, Brian. I actually darkened the whole photo and didn't like the green grass picking up the scene, but you're right, it does look too constructed in the end.

Well, I wouldn’t take a photo and then later ask if there was meaning in it. With respect, that seems the wrong way round. Having your mind made up to say something meaningful about a scene should happen BEFORE you half-press the shutter button. The question now is: what meaning might one want to have in such a shot? That is something for you to answer, Gianluca, not me. Yes, I think the imagination should be engaged before you shoot. That doesn’t mean you will always capture the meaning you intend to capture, of course, but it increases the chances of your image saying something you want it to say.

To me it’s a nice picture, but it is not conveying to me a meaning or even a thought beyond ‘this is a beautiful scene’. So, your suggestion of a tourist postcard does come to mind. I feel you are unhappy with the image, and would like to shoot more meaningful images. Sometimes I shoot such images. In tourist cities like Edinburgh and Padua it is hard to get beyond the tourist look. So I would encourage you to work more on critical pre-visualisation. What would you like to comment on, and how are you going to capture it? Sometimes we don’t know, but have a ‘gut feeling’ for something. Just keep asking yourself questions.

One thing that helped me was shooting film, which can be expensive. Every exposure matters. It slows you down, and you generally end up thinking-through the shot more before clicking. I did this so much that when I am shooting digital, I restrict my day to 36 shots, and often use far less.

I like the photos from your websites, which have a civic context, and that is their meaning. So you shoot architectural features. Atget did that in Paris, shooting architecture, railings, staircases, etc. But people now seem them as art. Art has a very wide and varied landscape.

Well, I wouldn’t take a photo and then later ask if there was meaning in it.

Neither do I, but that meaning you had in mind when you took that photo doesn't always come to life when you see it at home.

Thank you @Rob MacKillop , yours is a good answer on which I can tell you spent time. I will come back and reread it tomorrow when I am less tired, but it seems to me that it gives very clear open answers and it will help me.

Whether there's a story here or not, those clouds look lovely (I do have a thing for clouds, particularly like these), forming a brooding backdrop to the pastel hues of the buildings in that moody, pre-storm light one sometimes sees.

Thank you @Ralph Turner. In fact it was those clouds and that light that made me stop and pull out my camera. Unfortunately, I then wasted too much time, uncertain which side of the square to shoot and from which frame, and by the time I finally snapped, the best of the show was gone.

For me, I very much like the light, the clouds (!) and your colour palette, but agree that it's slightly lacking a focal point of interest. No reason not to take a shot, in my book, I have loads worse than yours, but not one I'd find that memorable.

Thank you for sharing! I think it's very worthwhile to share not only the 'winners' but also the 'work in progress' images. Nothing like constructive feedback.

For me, I very much like the light, the clouds (!) and your colour palette, but agree that it's slightly lacking a focal point of interest. No reason not to take a shot, in my book, I have loads worse than yours, but not one I'd find that memorable.

Thank you for sharing! I think it's very worthwhile to share not only the 'winners' but also the 'work in progress' images. Nothing like constructive feedback.

Thank you @Stevenson Gawen, you are too generous to me and too ungenerous to yourself, I know you have much more interesting and beautiful photos than this one!

Back