Phone Box

Well done for coming up with a new angle to view from, truly original.

Yes, they are slightly disturbing. Maybe that comes from film noir / spy movie scenes with a public phone ringing in the night.

Well done for coming up with a new angle to view from, truly original.

Yes, they are slightly disturbing. Maybe that comes from film noir / spy movie scenes with a public phone ringing in the night.
Thanks Dave.
I've had this idea that phone boxes might make interesting canvases for quite a while now and have experimented repeatedly with them over the last few years, but was never able to come up with anything really satisfying. However, I now have my old two hour Saturday morning street photography slot back in my diary, after well over a year and, yesterday, it was peeing it down with rain, so I was darting from one bit of shelter to the next. This phone box, which I have tried and failed to make images of before, was just feet away from some scaffolding and with the boards above my head, I was able to stay dry for long enough to experiment and persevere. I think it paid off because, after a while, I stopped looking and began to see.

What a great idea, Chris - I do understand that obsession of knowing there's an image there somewhere feeling - hence standing for 10 minutes following the antics of red, heart-shaped balloon, no doubt to the bemusement of passers-by! All are fine, but the last two especially so and I think they make a really interesting pairing as well.

Thanks Pete.
There's a rich vein of phone box shots out there, waiting for me! Actually there is another location where I have been working on a shot for several weeks/visits now, where it requires shooting through two panes of glass. I may never get it though, because I reckon it needs raindrops on the windows but there is shelter above, preventing that happening.

Now you have told us about them, we just have to see your balloon shots!

Last edited:
Disturbing is right. Some of them are superbly disturbing and therefore superb images. Numbers 3 and 4 in the first group and the last two in the second. Great stuff!

Thanks Brian. Catching these kinds of images is proving to have become a somewhat absorbing obsession.
I spent a little while there during a spare hour in town the other morning, while waiting for an appointment. I thought I might try slowing the shutter speed down a bit on the people hurrying past to their places of work.

This seems to be turning into a bit of a project!
I was pretty sold on the idea of sticking to black and white for these photos, but there are a few that I really like, but haven't shown simply because they are best rendered in colour. For example, the last image above is great but the colour version is beautiful, in my opinion and deserves to be seen.

DSC07494B.jpg

I agree, Chris. The colour images are spectacularly good. I love the colour rendering that the glass etc gives, whether saturated as in the first or muted in the next two.

The monochrome images are interesting and sometime quite sinister, but the colour ones make more compelling art if you see what I mean.

Back