Pi Musi-Cam

Chris Bennett

In the post today, I got a little package that is proving to be quite fun.
The Pi Musi-Cam.

Pi Musicam.JPG

It's based on a Raspberry Pi micro computer - you connect it to your digital camera and also to Spotify, via your home wi-fi network and whenever you take a photo, the Musi-Cam searches the Spotify database and provides you with a suitable track, guided by your previously logged preferences for musical genre. It's great if you set the camera to record video, and point it out the window, as I am doing now. It provides you with a real-time soundtrack to your world.

Just now, some birds arrived on the bush beside the bird feeder in our garden and the starlings chased away the sparrows that were trying to get at the seeds. As the ruckus all kicked off, the Musi-Cam seamlessly switched from playing 'Clouds' by Joni Mitchell, to 'Rumble' by Link Wray.

When I took the photo above, it immediately stopped playing The Move's 'I Can Hear the Grass Grow' and switched to 'Arnold Layne' by Pink Floyd.

Brilliant gadget! I'm really glad it arrived in time for the beginning of the month.

Ugh. As a musician, I have to say that I hate background music. It's a real problem with me. Restaurants are an awful experience, Films, TV, but worst of all shops. My brain automatically flips to working out the chord structures, what the bass drum is doing, how was it recorded, etc, etc. It's an illness!

Back