Point Lomo State Park

So,

Many (10) years ago I bought my first Fuji, an X100s. I was a Nikonian at the time, but for a plethora of reasons the Fuji ethos called to me. I came this || close to buying an X100 in Heathrow one time.

So, when the X100s was announced, I placed one on preorder.

As luck would have it, it showed up about 2 days before I was to take an extended trip for work, 6+ weeks, so I left it home.

So, when I got back, and after the 30 day return period, I opened the box and started playing around.

H'mmm. This was NOTHING whatsoever like the D200 I'd been shooting with. Menu's completely different, etc, etc, etc. To be kind we did not mesh well. Luckily (?) it was beyond the return window.

This went on for some time, and slowly I came to be able to get the images from the little Fuji that I was looking for.

After a business meeting in San Diego, I had the afternoon off. I drove down to Point Lomo State Park to have a lookie see.

Beautiful place. When I got there the sun was directly overhead and it was VERY glary. Difficult conditions for good photography. I went walking around, and found the path to the bottom of the cliff to the beach.

About that time the weather turned. I'm from New Orleans and you can smell the rain. This was one of those events. The wind came in, it got appreciably cooler, but the light, the light was fantastic, dark, gloomy, streaky, a photographers dream.

I was still a bit uncertain about the Fuji, so I turned on exposure bracketing and went shooting away.

When I got home and loaded the images, I was literally shaking with excitement as I was hopeful that just a little bit of what I saw in my minds eye was captured.

And my hopes were born out. Oh my goodness. This is what emerged:

Point Loma State Park (Large).jpg

At that point I knew that the Nikon gear I was holding onto was superfluous.

I've had a marvelous Fujista journey since then and continue to this day.

cheers

I am eager to see the work of a Fujist in this forum. I have never owned a Fuji, but I am very curious about it.

Your photo is very beautiful, Chris, it has none of the conventions that are in fashion today. To say “atmospheric” is to say a banality.

beautiful scene. fuji cameras are a little non-conventional to use. especially when they slow down your shooting in the age of faster everything. but once you get comfortable with it, it's a wonderful little camera system.

'Tis a great place, but I'm a bit biased! ;)

Painterly is the term that springs to mind with the shot and I can see why you were smitten by the rendering of the scene. The sense of impending change from the sea and light really add drama too. And the two gulls are a nice touch. A super image all round.

Back