Preparing for the big push ... Nikon F4 for low light photography!!

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
I decided, without thinking to much about the realities of it that I would push a roll of 3200 iso film to 25,000iso.
I figured I would need a camera with a light meter, but ive never seen a camera that has a 25,000 iso setting much less own one. (bar the digital d3 of course)
It seemed to me that finding a camera with a 6400 iso setting and underexposing by 2 EV would be the way to go ... but I dont have many cameras with a 6400iso setting either!
The only one that sprung to mind was my trusty Nikon F3!
So I load a roll of 3200iso film into it, set the iso control to 6400 and try to set the exposure compensation down to -2...
But it wont go past -1 ... Bugger ...

So back off up to the loft to try and find another camera, the only one I can find is my F4 ... I have to admit, I cant actually remember putting a roll through it before...
Its a beast of a camera, proper heavy... especially with the big grip that usually sits on the bottom of it!
So I slimmed it down to its smallest configuration, stuck some batteries in it and presto, it can be set to 6400iso and -2 EV!

hamish-gill-albums-cameras-picture2007-dscf1011.jpg

The best thing about it is something I never knew about it ... which makes it even better for low light work... It has a bright green lamp that at the flick of the switch lights up the cameras setting in the viewfinder clear as day!

That's not a bad call Pete ;)

Should be fun!
Got a roll for the blad of it turns out well!
As its doable on that to by my reckoning!

Back