Pushing Kentmere 400 to 3200

Martin Pancisin

Hi guys,
I did a shoot at a location with very difficult light situation. Not having a flash, I've decided to shoot at 3200. However, I did not check before, whether the film (Kentmere 400) supports pushing it to this iso.

According to the official website, the film can be shot at 800. However, I have found entries online of people pushing Kentmere 400 to 1600 and 3200. Unfortunately, those who pushed to 3200 do not provide any indication to the development times etc.

I plan to develop it with ILFOSOL 3 (1+9) and my calculation (for every increase in the ISO double the time and add 20% of the total new development time) shows development time of 59.52 minutes. Can this be correct?
Thanks in advance :)

Martin I have no experience with Ilfosol and no experience pushing Kentmere film. However, a 60 minute development time is "stand" development territory for me. I use Rodinal which I dilute to 1+100 then develop for 60 minutes. I can't say whether your calculations are right or wrong, but for what it's worth I think you are displaying a healthy skepticism. Just as you are doing I'd want to confirm my calculations before plunging the film into the developer. I looked at the Massive Development Chart but it doesn't give times for developing for a push to 3200 on Kentmere films. I also did a quick Flickr search for K pushed to 3200 and although I didn't see that anyone was using Ilfosol, those I did see developed for no more than 25 minutes. Granted its a little like comparing apples to oranges but these quick search results would make me want to keep looking.

I used to use ID-68/Microphen when push processing HP5, DD-X gives similar results. According to Ilford the Kentmere films don't push process particularly well compared to HP5.

I've just printed a shot taken before Xmas on HP5 @ 3200 EI processed in Pyrocat HD and the results are grain-less but then I was shooting 5x4 film but I'm talking a 20x16 print, so I'd have expected some grain.

Ian

Back