RAF Danby Beacon derelict remains...

Shaun Haselden

Way up on the north eastern edge of the North York Moors there lies the remnants of a chain home radar station known as RAF Danby Beacon. These days it consists of a series of concrete tracks and bases. There is also the remains of the transmitter building, the receiver building and the generator building. Whilst I was there tramping around I had a close encounter with an Adder which hissed at me as it made it's way to safety.

A very busy but gorgeous day. One of life's best for me and so long since I last did this kind of thing which will become even more rare in the future for medical reasons. That's life I guess.

Attachments

• RAF Danby Beacon Old Remains North York Moors National Park Concrete Trackways.jpg
    RAF Danby Beacon Old Remains North York Moors National Park Concrete Trackways.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 4
  • RAF Danby Beacon Old Remains North York Moors National Park Radar Station.jpg
    RAF Danby Beacon Old Remains North York Moors National Park Radar Station.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 4
I really like this series of yours, @Shaun Haselden. I didn't know there were adders this far north in Europe.

I wish you the best in your health.
I'm guessing the Adder was heating up in the sunshine when I came along thrashing around. At first I just thought Oh, a snake, but then I realised it was dark brown with a black angular pattern and decided to stay very still until it was some distance from me. I'm not keen on being so close (around 60cm) to such a creature. It made it's presence known vocally.

Back