RAISING YUNUS

N

Nihat Iyriboz

I started teaching my son guitar playing when he was seven years old - classical and some flamenco. He met Paco de Lucia in Sacramento when he was ten years old.

Starting with middle school, my wife and I supported and encouraged him in his daily regiment of playing jazz with a big band for seven years. In his teen years he studied classical guitar with Jon Harris of Berkeley, rock, blues and jazz with Jack Eskridge of Orinda and Brian Pardo of Lafayette. He also had a master class with Scottish classical guitarist David Russell in Asland, Oregon.

In addition, he studied oboe with symphonic bands in middle and high school years under the private instructions of Jan Davis of Lafayette.

I made the photograph, attached, in Monterey Jazz Festival before he started for college.

On May 17, Friday he is graduating from CalArts where he studied guitar performance for four years whilst he also worked as a guitarist in Greater Los Angeles area for three years. He has worked with 3+ bands in different genres. The following link is about of them.

Orkestar MEZE Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos - click on the center section VIDEOS.

Our long and lonely struggle of raising a fine young man was no small task. We wish our dear son the best of luck in life. May the roads be open for him and his life is filled with happiness and contentment.

With Love, Nihat & Berna

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky son. Lucky parents. Love the music - Turkish Funk - wonderful. Seems to have had a well-rounded musical education, and he's young and good looking. The world is his oyster...Good luck Yunus!

Thank you very much, Beth. He's happy and content that I have been around to photograph him thousands of times.

Back