Reichert MeF2

Ok, so maybe not really a macro lens as such but this is what the image in this thread was taken with:

http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/cum-on-see-the-noize.23644/#post-183820

I like old research microscopes and have wanted one of these for quite some time (I have a Zetopan and Biovert from Reichert that I have been using since the mid 80s!). One turned up on eBay in Germany and I couldn't resist. I built a new bench for it and still need to add an alignment rail (this would have been fitted to a dedicated console at one time - they did make free-standing versions but this isn't one). I have some spare power supplies in the UK, but for now the main lamp is running off a lab. supply. I also need to add a camera system (it has the exposure unit) and I plan to try and fit the PhaseOne P45 back to the Graflok fitting on the front using the LF trigger and an adapter plate. The only issue with the instrument at present is some delamination of the polarising analyser. It is useable at higher magnifications by slightly misaligning the slider but a 'new' one would be better. I have found a scrap microscope in the US that has one and am hoping it is Ok (the chances are it isn't) and in any case it will be a useful source of spare parts. I'd also like to find a transmitted light unit for it but that will probably take some time and I might end up building one instead (there is one for sale in Israel but it is in terrible condition and not worth anywhere near what they are asking).

Fe2F-1.jpg

Fe2F-2.jpg

Greetings Everyone!

First of all many thanks to Pete Askew for creating an account for me at this forum.
Well... I think that is only place in internet when private user of MeF2 shared experience of using it.
This is set that I recently bought - it has it's own cabinet:

1. Basic optics.
2. Nomarski set.
3. Hardness Knoop tester.
4. Two lamp setup (halogen and mercury based)
5. Didactoscope - analog image.
6. Rotary table with XY movement.
7. Polarization interferometry set.

goto.jpg

What I did after I bought it is on the list below:
1. Disassembly of everything and assemble again with: cleaning, regressing.
2. Cleaning optics (two full days of work).
3. I had replaced wooden drawer rails with proper metal-bearing ones - I had to wider rail grooves on drawers.
4. Some small repairs with workbench were needed.

Technical condition:
For most cases everything is in almost mint condition. However there are few problems with three lenses (delamination).
Then there is a problem with delamination on one polarizing filter.

I have a question to Mr. Pete:
I have a very dark image in didactoscope with this procedure, that I assume is corrrect:
1. Binocular penta-prism retracted.
2. Didactoscope penta-prism engaged.
3. Both lamps tested ether halogen and mercury-based.
4. Both lamps tested with full aperture and non filters on light path.
5. Main polarizing filter on main stage retracted.

The image of brushed tool steel caliper surface (I know that it look like a planet :)) is faint....
Cabinet lights turned on, image is projected trough didactoscope at paper sheet:
light_proj.jpg

Cabinet lights turned off, image is projected trough didactoscope at very same paper sheet:

Didactoscope, cabinet lights turned off:

I assume that it is probably because of half mirror, however binoculars have much brighter image.
Image taken with 8/0,15, 250/-np lens.

I know that this post is looooong already and this is a photography forum so, at the end there is the link to my modest gallery in 500px site:

https://500px.com/w_janik

Thanks for any help.
God bless everyone!

Attachments

• Dark_proj.jpg
    Dark_proj.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 3
  • dark.jpg
    dark.jpg
    858.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hello, Witold! Welcome to the forum. That's an amazing first post! I've no idea what you are talking about, but I think you have elevated the forum nonetheless. Take care, and we'll see you around!

Greetings Witold, welcome to the group.
Pete is the expert on macroscopy here, your technical knowledge is way above mine. I just try to use a camera! :)

I could just try to extend shuter speed aroumd 2s or more, however if binoculars have same primary angular prism then well... image should have similar brightness - however it is different. Well still waiting for Mr Pete, and I hope He will anwer.

Hi Witold. A super setup you have there. Those consoles are wonderful. I have two MeF2s plus a third for parts although only one is set up. Neither have the console, which is a shame in way, but I'd struggle to get it into where the one above is located. I had intended to build the rails that the components sit on into the bench, but it is simple to align without and so I have not yet pursued that. Since the picture above was taken I have added the transmitted light module from my other microscope. I'll try and take a picture of the that setup later in the week.

I would not worry too much about the delamination in the polariser. One of mine also showed degradation, but when I added a perfect one it made no difference to the quality of the image, which was already high. As long as it is not too central it should be fine at most magnifications.

I have never used a didactoscope on a MeF2, but we had one (or its equivalent) on a Zeiss microscope many years ago. The image on that was also rather dim, but the instrument was in a darkened room and so it was usable, but rarely was. I think this is probably inevitable as there is presumably an extra prism / mirror in the image path and the projection area is larger than the image formed that is 'viewed' by the binocular. Plus you have the losses associated with the screen.

Are you wanting to use the didactoscope for viewing, increasing magnification or creating images (from its screen)? Although some of the pictures I have shared here are from a camera aimed at the eyepiece I do now have a CCD camera mounted in the RH imaging port and that provides a high quality route. I also have a camera mounted to an adapter plate that sits on the front film holder and can also mount a PhaseOne back there. However, the extra projection and longer path limits that route a bit.

Thanks for help Pete! I have to combine MeF2 with my Pentax K3II. I would like to try pixel-shift. According to delamination I think it is similar to every lens front element - worst thing that can happen hire is some area contrast degradation. I don't know if I can find PhaseOne adapter in Poland... I have some hope in 3d printer that I just ordered, I will try to print adapter and then thread and combine it with M42 made in japan Pentax adapter. I will try to mount it at the end of didactoscope tunnel. How ever I don't know exactly how it will work (focus distance) without additional optics. On Your photograph of Your station there is camera attachment on the right that I don't have. I don't know if there is additional optics in it or not. I will use that microscope for some tribological research in near future.

Last edited:
Back