Request for 'what should I do if...' newbie guide

David Mitchell

Hi all,

I just had a thought about something that would help out someone brand new to photography (like myself) out with regards to a 'what should I do if...' for some general rules of thumb regarding aperture/shutter speeds as well as the variable of the ISO of the film.

I thought about possibly a simple look up table with for example lighting conditions down 1 side of the table and the type of photo being shot along another so that a newbie (like me) can just go: Its sunny and I am shooting a landscape, I would then be able to look across and see (for example although probably wrong) I would need to have a lower shutter speed, larger aperture running a low ISO film.

The table could be all relative to whatever camera being used (although would be useful to have some common speeds or apertures as an example on it) so that a newbie would be in the right ball park to take the photo. This isn't something I can do on my own as I have 0 experiance with regards to shooting film so its something that would help me as well as any other newbies on this site + any other sites who find the topic.

I was thinking about what the variables could be for each of the suggested settings:

Shutter speed
High shutter speed: eg
Medium shutter speed: eg
Slow shutter speed: eg

Aperture
Wide aperture: eg
Medium aperture: eg
Small aperture: eg

Film rating - Just put a suggested ISO number for whatever situation

I am just thinking about some basic setups so that a newbie can get the settings right and see what sort of photo can be taken, then once someone has got a bit more experiance they can experiment. Im thinking that this might be a good idea to start someone out so that they don't blow whole rolls of film with overexposed images which will quickly become quite expensive lol

Let me know if this is a silly idea, or indeed if someone has already done something like this, ive watched quite a few videos regarding all the different variables but it would be cool if there was a simple look up chart for some starting point settings :)

I think the sunny 16 rule is a good place to start ...
the problem is you cant really simplify things down to the level that you want as there are too many variables including possibly the most important; creative interpretation of a scene!

For eg, take landscape as an easy one ...
Low ISO and small aperture are probably standard settings
these result in a slow shutter speed...

But sometimes I might choose to use a faster film (higher iso) to introduce a grain to the image

Really what you need is an understanding of the basics of photography and not what you have asked for which I would probably call a "cheat sheet"

Have a look at this http://www.realphotographersforum.com/content/281-how-zone-scale-focus.html
And this http://www.realphotographersforum.c...s-exposure-part-1-understanding-aperture.html
one day me and Pete will get around to doing the other parts to the back to basics thing but if you can get to grips with "stops" and scale focusing and the sunny 16 rule I'm sue stuff will start to fall into place!

Thanks Hamish, I have much reading ahead of me! The 120 film I currently have is all ISO 400, so it looks like I am going to also need to grab some ISO 100 film as the Sputnik camera maxxes out at 1/100 and the Bessa at 1/150 lol

Another that is useful is for hand-holding, minimum shutter-speed=1/focal length in 35mm terms. Emphasis upon minimum.

Thus if you are shooting with a normal lens—roughly equivalent to a 50mm on a 35mm camera—1/60th would likely be the closest shutter speed. Normal on a medium format camera would be an 80mm to 105mm depending upon format. Normal on a m4/3 camera would be 25mm and 35mm on an APS-C.

This is only in relationship to avoiding camera-motion blur and has no effect upon subject action. It also assumes the steady hands of a surgeon, thus "minimum". I generally use the next fastest speed, i.e. 1/125th as a minimum with a normal lens.

What are the smallest apertures on the two cameras? (biggest number)

I believe both go up to F22, the Sputnik's fastest shutter speed seems to be 1/100 whereas I think the Bessa goes to 1/200 although due to the age it won't be that fast lol

Looks like this could be of use:

http://www.guidetofilmphotography.com/sunny-16-exposure.html

Might be worth me getting some ISO 100 film and just run the 1/125 shutter speed but adjust the aperture to suit the conditions - might also be useful as it means only 1 variable is changed.

Last edited:
yes... thats the sunny 16 rule indeed

take the bessa then ... perfectly usable in bright sunlight with 400 iso film

If you need equiv of f16 1/100 and 100iso
you cant do f16 1/400 and 400iso as you dont have the setting
your one constant is iso ... so ...
400 iso is 2 stops from 100 iso
ie 100-(1 stop)-200-(1 stop)-400
so we need to change the shutter and aperture by 2 stops equally
your fastest shutter speed is 1/200
1/100-(1 stop)-1/200
your smallest aperture is f22
f16-(1 stop)-f22

ie f16 1/100 and 100iso = f22 1/200 and 400iso

then just make the corresponding changes for lighting conditions

so where the settings were

f/16 = bright sun
f/11 = Slightly Overcast
f/8 = Overcast
f/5.6 = Heavy Overcast
f/4 = Dawn and Dusk

they would now be

f/22 = bright sun
f/16 = Slightly Overcast
f/5.6 = Overcast
f/4 = Heavy Overcast
f/2.8 = Dawn and Dusk

or if you want to keep the camera at f22

1/200 = bright sun
1/100 = Slightly Overcast
1/50 = Overcast
----you will need a tripod below----
1/25 = Heavy Overcast
1/10 = Dawn and Dusk

to avoid the use of a tripod you could set

1/50 & f/16 = heavy over cast
1/50 & f/11 = dawn and dusk

all the settings relate to each other by the same increments
a stop is either halving or doubling light so you change the settings by the same amount of stops ... it doesn't matter which setting you change it will have the same effect!

Does any of that make any sense?
That loosely speaking is really all you need to know to use any camera without the need for any automation

Thanks Hamish, thats a great help, im just getting my head around the correlation between the ISO/shutter speeds with regards to the aperture lol its probably uber easy for you but im 100% new lol im used to a point and shoot compact digitial rather than a more technical (and much better) film camera :D

It's that relationship you need to get your head around if you are going to make real progress with using these old cameras ...
if you have an iPhone getting that light meter app I mentioned will help a lot I'd say!

Last edited:
Excel calculator for Sunny 16 and Fred Parker

Hi all,

it would be cool if there was a simple look up chart for some starting point settings :)

Below are two links to Sunny 16 resources: The first is Fred Parker's and the second is an Excel spreadsheet.
The spreadsheet is taken from Fred Parker's excellent site called Ultimate Exposure Computer. You specify an ISO, and EV number ( taken from Fred's list ) and it will provide a shutter speed and aperture. You can also vary the inputs. However, for simplicity I have created a simple printed table for the Voigtlander Vito B which I carry round with me.

Warning by clicking on the second link you actually download the Excel spreadsheet.
It has been checked for antivirus.
Ultimate Exposure Computer
http://www.vandrasik.com/software/Ex...Calculator.xls

Last edited:
I just made one of these :D

Squit Photo

Will be handy to try some settings and see what they come to - also allows me to see what settings/situations I can't use certain cameras in due to the fact I currently only have ISO 400 film lol seems that ISO 400 film is fine for some of the newer cameras with shutter speeds faster than 1/150 (like a Pentax K1000 which goes up to 1/1000 lol) looks like I need to get some ISO 100 to be able to use my vintage cameras outside more and keep the ISO 400 film for more overcast days/indoor shooting.

Im gradually working through that 'ultimate exposure calulator' theory, im getting there, just need to shoot some film and see I what my personal cameras are like - being older 1/125 isn't going to be 1/125 anymore lol

Back