John Holland

The Rhine Falls is the largest plain (or block) waterfall in Europe. They are 150 meters (490 ft) wide and 23 meters (75 ft) high. The water flow in the summer is around 600 cubic meters/second (21,000 cubic feet/second) - as you can see, that is a lot of water (and cold water)

Rhein_Falls_17May-020-045-Pano.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what an amazing sight! The views from the various viewing platforms must be spectacular. Well captured as always John.

Brian, you are correct. It still takes some pretty good seamanship to navigate the tricky currents. Dumping a load of tourists into the river is a quick way of getting fired.
Sounds like the ride on "The Maid of the Mist" at Niagara, which I went on many years ago.

Dave, your analogy is spot on (I've done the Niagara Falls one as well - it has more mist -- bigger falls too)

Here is one from across the falls - another very large pano (31 frames stitched together). The full resolution image is over 306 mega-pixels.

Rhein_Falls_17May-469-499-Pano-Crop_1.jpg

And from the other side of the falls (relative to the first images)
Rhein_Falls_17May-423-459-Pano-Crop_1.jpg

A wider view of the falls (this is a very large multi-shot pano)
Rhein_Falls_17May-067-103-Pano.jpg

Wow!! I am lost for words, those are just beautiful - they should be hanging in a gallery. Well done!

Lovely set John. It is a spectacular place. The first image does really convey the power of the waterfall.

The restaurant just downstream in the penultimate shot is pretty good too, both for the food and the view.

Back