Rhossili Bay

Darren Turner

XProPhotographer

Rhossili Bay by Darren Turner, on Flickr

Rhossili (Welsh: Rhosili) is a small village and community on the southwestern tip of the Gower Peninsula in Swansea. It is within an area designated as the first Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in the United Kingdom. The village has a community council and is part of the Gower parliamentary constituency, and the Gower electoral ward.

Despite its relatively remote position, Rhossili is a popular tourist destination: the views from the headland and the Down are panoramic; several pleasant walks begin, end, or pass through the village; Iron Age remains are found on Rhossili Down; and the 4 mile (6.4 km) long beach attracts surfers, particularly at the Llangennith (northern) end.

The prominent wreck of the Helvetia, which ran aground on Rhossili Bay in November 1887, bears witness to the challenging weather conditions and the tales of our ancestors, who lured boats ashore to plunder their holds.

Love the first one, Darren.
I check the place on Google Map.
It's such a beautiful place. :)

All three are crackers, Daz. But #2 appeals especially to me. At first glance I wasn't sure if I was seeing water or sand in the background. Excellent!

I've been there!! :)
What lovely shots Darren.

I have been there too! A long time ago though. I one rode a horse on that beach, shame I was hanging on for dear life and not appreciating the scenery! Thanks for the memories!

cheers guys, last time i visited i walked down to the beach for sunset, its a chuffing long way down i will tell ya, coming back up is by far the worst though.

In shot 2 you can just make out the ruins of the Helvetia ship wreck.

During these photos the wind was horrendous, i was quite worried for them sheep living life on the edge with the sheer drop down the cliff it things went wrong for the poor blighters

cheers

Daz

Hi Daz, love that part of the world myself, spent many hours & days surfing there, I love shot 2, the way the background has come out is unreal & for me really works & makes the shot.Well done Sir.

Back