Rollei Ortho 25 plus - first roll.

Ralph Turner

Here are a few samples from from my first outing with Rollei Ortho 25 plus. The negs were somewhat under developed, but they still scanned ok. Like Ilford Ortho, this emulsion seems to shine in good, contrasty light. Under more subdued conditions it can look a little flat. the stile and cactus shots needed quite a boost of contrast, the house gable end needed nothing beyond the usual normalising of the brightness range. Taken on Bronica ETRSi with 75mm PE.

Attachments

• IMG_5680.jpeg
    IMG_5680.jpeg
    945.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5681.jpeg
    IMG_5681.jpeg
    923.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5682.jpeg
    IMG_5682.jpeg
    936.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Many thanks, Gianluca. That old stile was certainly well weathered. It was at the end of my walk in that day back in July, a rather pleasant rural route near my in-law's place.

I scanned the rest of the roll last night. I took a second exposure of the old stile as (if memory serves) the focus was a little bit out on the first attempt. Definitely looks better on the second. I also played with the look, lifting the subject out of the shadows. It looks a little less muddy and more vibrant now, but can't decide if it's a little too busy and lost a little of that 'antique' look that I quite like... jury's still out lol.

Attachments

• IMG_5688.jpeg
    IMG_5688.jpeg
    983.2 KB · Views: 4
"Dancing in the breeze". Last two from the roll. One of Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's images shows a seemingly chaotic view of an old tumble-down fence beside some trees on a windy day. There's a lovely sense of movement in the trees set against the more solid tree trunks and fence posts. I rather like like that contrast between movement and a sharp, fixed subject within the same frame. I've had a bit of a go here. but I think it needs a bit more practice. These were some beautiful old arboreal souls I saw whilst on the same walk as the stile image.

Attachments

• IMG_5686.jpeg
    IMG_5686.jpeg
    988.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5687.jpeg
    IMG_5687.jpeg
    994.1 KB · Views: 2
"Dancing in the breeze". Last two from the roll. One of Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's images shows a seemingly chaotic view of an old tumble-down fence beside some trees on a windy day. There's a lovely sense of movement in the trees set against the more solid tree trunks and fence posts. I rather like like that contrast between movement and a sharp, fixed subject within the same frame. I've had a bit of a go here. but I think it needs a bit more practice. These were some beautiful old arboreal souls I saw whilst on the same walk as the stile image.

Well done, Ralph! I like this dance.

Back