Roosting Bee

Its the pollen on them that gets me... id have never thought it would be that visible
this pink against the grey works very nicely
im just not quite sure of the angle he is at ... would it work if you just rotated the image??

Hi Hamish, can only post 1 at a time..frustrating.

In regards to the image, it probably would work rotated in to a landscape format, however this is how i found him sleeping so i probably wouldnt rotate it as i wanted to show the positions these bees get themselves into.

I keep looking at these macro shots in awe. Not something I am particularly into (in terms of the visual aspect, I wouldn't hang a photo of a marco bug on the wall) but I really appreciate the skill and know how involved. In saying that however I have found recently that I enjoy losing myself in the local woods and fields for a few hours of a weekend snapping bugs. Also the challenge of the technical aspect is quite appealing to me.

It seems that reverse mounting a 50mm prime to my 85mm 1:1 macro lens gives me some pretty high magnification. I have worked out how to take several shots in a second to be focus stacked but that doesn't mean that I can actually do it. All attempts so far have been pretty dire!

Stunning work Ali, i cant believe how much detail you capture.

Keep them coming :D

Daz

Ali, do you do a lot of focus stacking with these? If so how many shots are you stacking together and what software do you use?

Another great shot BTW.

Thanks all :)

Glen, unless otherwise stated all my images are single shots. I do focus stack sometimes but its not very often. When i do focus stack i was using Zerene but the trial has expired now so i will probably go back to combinezm or do it by hand in CS6.

Cheers Ali.
What sort of settings do you use, eg. ISO, Shutter speed, aperture.
Hope you don't mind all these questions, I tried looking at the Exif but it doesn't seem to be saved.

Glen, my settings are always as follows.

ISO100, 1/200 and appeatures between f13 and f11 depending on Magnificaton.

Paul, i will have to have a look and try it. I was aware it had the capability but not tried it myself. Always done it using the healing brush tool.

Back