Sanity Check: Photoshop Elements vs Photoshop vs Lightroom from Aperture

David Jones

Background: my interest in post-processing has developed from simple level fixes in iPhoto through to more detailed work in Aperture with some help from Snapseed. I like working in Aperture and get results that generally satisfy me but the occasional image requires Snapseed processing to bring out the detail or the visual impact. I also use Pixelmator for some editing tasks but although they keep improving it, it is missing some important features compared to Photoshop Elements, let alone CS6.

I have accepted I need to learn more so I am attending College classes based around Aperture (first one yesterday and it was very helpful). I also see most users have Lightroom but I have tried it and did not like the interface or the workflow, possibly because I have been using Aperture for too long. So - some questions around Photoshop as my head is beginning to spin with the different options.

Working in CS6 Photoshop yesterday found me quickly at home with an application I have not used since version 3. The interface seemed to have a structure and logic which I did not find in Lightroom - but that is probably just me. Yes, I could work with this but the cost...!!!

I have looked into Photoshop Elements. It is promoted as a management application for your photos - but doesn't Lightroom do this too? So am I right in thinking there is a bit of overlap here - that you can you can use either Lightroom or Photoshop Elements (or Photoshop CS6) to manage your photo library? Note: Aperture is versatile enough in its file handling to stay part of the equation even if I do adopt Elements.

I have installed the trial for Elements on my MacBook. The elegance of Photoshop is not quite there I seem to be confronted by a number of applications: Organiser (Bridge under another name?), Camera RAW and finally the Editor. I cannot decide if this separation clarifies things or is just clunky. Note: I realise Camera RAW is one of the apps I need because of its superior noise reduction.

So my question is: does Elements begin to make sense after a while and does it really do most of what CS6 does? I was beginning to find some of the capability of CS6, including Adjustment Layers which Pixlemator lacks, and then it crashed on me. Not too encouraging at this stage.

Has anyone else gone down this route? Is Elements worth persisting with for better noise handling and geometry/perspective correction? Should I buy Nik Software's plug-ins instead? So many choices... I would just like to hear any opinions you might have, accepting we are all different in the way we think about things.

I am not a user of Aperture but I thought it had similar library functions to Lightroom (I'm sure Davie will be able to help here) - so you should be able to organise and index from there. There is also PhaseOne Capture One and Bibble as was (now Corel AfterShot Pro) but these are 'just' alternatives to Aperture / LR. If Aperture gives you the majority of functionality you need, I would use that as my primary interface. I would probably add in Nik software filters for Aperture (the suite is quite cost-effective for Aperture only) as that would extend your processing capabilities immensely. I would only dip in and out of a variant of PS (probably Elements due to the cost) to use its more extensive cloning capabilities and maybe layers where necessary.

Thanks Pete - that all makes good sense. I do use Aperture as my library application and I am happy with what it does there. The managed and referenced files options, plus the vault for backup give me all the flexibility I could want. Having tried Lightroom, I do not see me abandoning Aperture unless Apple abandons it. I enjoy working in Aperture although as part of my learning process I need to spend some time reading the manual and trying to understand better what they have done with the latest upgrade.

My interest in Photoshop has arisen because any course that I can sign up for here will be for Photoshop. I realise that this is because it has been the industry standard for as long as I can remember. Most articles in the magazines are also for Photoshop or Lightroom techniques. I would just like people's opinions on Elements as I am on the point of buying it. I currently use Pixelmator but that is lacking some key features compared to Elements.

I really like Nik's Snapseed, so the full plug-ins are on my list too. It is only money after all...

if aperture had a panorama function I wouldn't use photoshop at all. I, like yourself didn't find any flow in lightroom and decided to stick with aperture, I really hope an update os coming soon(as long as there is a pano)

Thanks Davie. I got a bit carried away after reading about one professional's defection to Lightroom, and then I came to my senses. Good as Lightroom is, technically, Aperture is not that bad and I find it much easier to work with.

I got a bit frustrated with the recent Aperture upgrade because some of the adjustments just didn't seemed to do what I expected any more. It suggested I downloaded the latest PDF User's Guide and that has helped. I still think it is poor interface design for some adjustments to numerically extend beyond what the sliders will set.

The need for Photoshop really follows from these classes I have signed up for. If the lessons learnt transfer across to Aperture then so much the better. I don't know yet - and as I said all the different options have me pausing for breath at the moment. Sadly, Pixelmator lacks the depth of features needed to keep up with Photoshop, or there would not be a problem.

Last edited:
David,

I had CS3, and only used a small percentage of it. Then I did an Open University course (see my blog about it on this site) and they gave me a free copy of Elements 8. I eventually upgraded that to version 10. Then I bought the Nik Complete. I initially asked about the Educational Discount for it, but the company advised me against that, for two reasons: upgrades from the educational copy are not allowed, and impossible to do, and that Nik had brought the price down for the complete edition to the same price as the educational discount. No brainer. I bought the full suite, and have never looked back

A combination of Elements 10 and Nik Complete provides me with far more than I will ever need. I use the RAW editing part of Elements 10, and find it very easy and useful. Then I open the image in Elements 10, and make the odd foray into the Nik software from within Elements.

At one point I downloaded Lightroom, but just could not get on with it, despite others telling me how wonderful and easy to use it is.

Rob

Thanks Pete and Rob. I didn't think I qualified for an educational discount on a part-time course but I will look into it. If I am going to buy anything from Nik then I might as well go for the full suite of Aperture plug-ins. It is reassuring to find I am not the only one who could not get on with Lightroom.

Edit: it is a different story with Elements though. That is making sense now. This has improved a couple of shots that I could not quite sort out in Aperture, mainly through what Camera RAW does.

Last edited:
Back