Calla Lily Sepia / Selenium Calla Lily I

At long last I got round to printing some of the shots I took during the Calla Lily Theme on B&W film. This was a white lily on a white background and I always envisaged it as a very faint image but toned to lift it from the background. I'm not sure I have quite got what I wanted yet but it is close. The idea was to use the sepia to give some warmth and separation and then use the selenium to add some coolness back to the lighter areas on the flower. I have added a border in PS to this but it will go straight into a 30 cm x 30 cm passe-partout. I have some of the coloured Callas too and will photograph them when I have finished toning them.

Calla%20Lily-7_zpscyypyvil.jpg~original

Original image shot onto Ilford Delta 100 using a Hasselblad 503CW + 60mm Zeiss Distagon CFi f1:3.5 + 8mm extension tube, 1/60s at f1:8.0. The negative was developed in Ilford ID11 and printed onto Ilford MGIV FB Matt paper (16" x 12") using a Devere 507 enlarger fitted with a Heiland Split-Grade controller + 80mm Apo-Rodagon enlarging lens (at f1:11), 24s at G2.5. The paper was developed in Ilford MG developer for 3 minutes (i.e. 50% over) and then fixed and washed. After drying the print was toned using Fotospeed Sepai Toner (with 10 ml additive / litre) and then washed and then toned in Fotospeed Selenium Toner (100 ml / litre) and then dried. The print was copied using a Hasselblad 503CW + 50mm Zeiss Distagon CF f1:4.0 onto a PhaseOne P20 back. The raw file was processed to a 16 bit TIFF file using CaptureOne Pro and this was then imported into Lightroom. A border was added in PS.

Last edited:
Thanks, Rob and I think I've got rid of the ghosting in the image. It wasn't really visible in the tiff but was in the exported jpeg and I think it was an exaggeration of the slight shading on the print due to it not being completely flat when I copied it - the fuse has blown in the pump for the vacuum easel (a job for the weekend as the new fuse blew instantly - might need to change the brushes - or buy a new pump!).

Back