Shoot colour or shoot B&W?

Yeah ive been playing around with settings on there with these, I found it made a chunk of difference with the white balance and then tweeked the histogram to get the balance of settings that i liked. Ive got a 16GB card so I will shoot some RAW files soon, ive just upped to to 'fine jpeg' rather than just the normal jpeg although I know there is a lot of colour info being lost when the camera compresses the file. The photo I think gave the most difference to was the flower, the processed image looks like the flower I actually took a photo of lol

Im now slightly happier with shooting DSLR if it wasn't so bulky for a box with a flapping mirror and small sensor lol it doesn't feel as fun to shoot on vs film cameras.

My friend (who I lent my ST605n to) has just run a roll of film though it as a test roll as he wants to get into film photography as well. I got some Agfa Vista plus ISO 200 film, im not sure if its how the film was processed or the film but the colours aren't as good as I was expecting. I think I need one of those 'tester' packs with different sorts of film in to see what sort I prefer to shoot on as I know different makes give different results.

Media does not care how it is used or who uses it. Each person who uses a camera, has their own relationship and goals. For the snapshooter, it is a visible reminder of a person or event. No interest in photography per se. Others love new shiny gadgets and seem to be constantly trading. Part of it may be the seeking of perfection. Discussion centres on the weakness of the current system, and why the company is failing to deliver a perfect camera for entry-level money.

There is the old camera clubber, who shows up each month with the new Leica lens du jour. Pontificates, with no room for discussion. If you want to get rid of the guy, just ask to see his pictures. There seems to be a strong link between possessions and self-worth. This is slightly different from the fanboi, who has a near religious link to a single brand. Takes any praise for another brand as a direct personal attack.

In other cases, it is the process that counts. A kinship to the perfection seekers, but in this case prospecting for magic bullets in obscure places. Profound contempt for name brands, no mainstream developer will do, uses no lenses from the top optical companies, a constant cycle of test, fail and move on. Exposures are made for the purpose of processing and evaluating results. Embraces old processes, claiming that they are much superior to what we have today, even though the images shown stoutly contradict it.

Working photographers appreciate good tools, but still regard them as tools. The image is everything. If the needs of the clients change, a camera does not gather dust for long, but is sold or traded. The pragmatic ones survive. The rest get "real" jobs.

For myself, it is about getting the best image quality—and content quality—that the circumstances will allow. However, content rules. A large-format image immaculately processed, but of a boring subject, is still a boring picture no matter how fine the image quality. On the other hand, great quality never draws attention to itself—poor quality always does. My greatest challenge is to surpass my most recent photograph.

I looked up that record cover you air brushed by hand btw, looks AMAZING, I can see why it won awards and I can see why I have a need to shoot colour even though the image might not finish like that.

I just enjoy the actual action of shooting a manual camera, the fact that I 'see' a photo I want, put the camera where it needs to be for the shot I can 'see' then simply change a few easy to use adjustments and press the shutter button to them capture the image I had wanted to capture. Its kind of why I like shooting the Fujica ST605n, frame the image I want, turn the lens aperture for the amount of light/DOF it needs, set the shutter speed with help from the light meter, focus and then click - nice and simple with a nice clean finite shutter - much like a nice rifle trigger.

Whereas with the D3100 I frame the image I want, turn a plastic wheel to set the aperture I want, press and hold another button whilst turning a plastic and then trying to read the tiny numbers in the viewfinder for the settings, then press the shutter button slightly for it to focus where it thinks I want it to focus, if not I then move the AF point to where I want it to focus, it then focuses again, I then fully press the rest of the shutter button and all I get is a noise when the mirror flaps around, then everything lights up like a Christmas tree celebrating that its taken a photo - quick quick you must see it lol

I know you can disable the rear screen and turn off the AF but the lens for the D3100 doesn't have any way to change the aperture it all has to be done with the inbuilt motor so I can't shoot it properly manual with the kit lens and even with a manual focus lens I still have to scroll the plastic wheel to change the shutter speed.

The option of liveview is ok I guess, it does detract from the actual shooting though, perhaps good for landscapes as it can be used like the large format ground glass screen. I don't know why DSLRs have to be so much more bulky than SLRs, just change the film back for a digital sensor and put the electronics to process the image and card holds where the 35mm canister and the take up spool used to be.

I won't be purchasing many lenses and I won't be upgrading the DSLR bodies either, im not worried that the Canon 5D mark 24 has come out. I feel that some of the more modern DSLRs are like some of the newer cars vs the older models, they have basically added loads more features onto it which makes them slower and more complicated and less of a joy than the original model. I prefer simple cameras, almost as if you have just framed a shot with your hands, not too worried if its for 39 AF points with 12 cross types lol it kinda gets in the way of simple shooting.

I have 5 days holiday to take off work before the end of the year, im planning to take a couple of days dedicated to shooting, I work in London so im probably going to head in and take photos :) im still saving up for a photo scanner though lol

Dave, You posted some images which is a good start but don't get hung up on Lightroom settings, what camera you use, whether you have to twiddle with plastic knobs or metal rings. Just get out and take photos, loads of them. I suspect you are disappointed with what you get from the D3100 more so than other cameras because you can see the results faster. Using film won't solve your woes, its just another tool to learn and use. Photography isn't easy, you have to work a it and sometimes work at it a lot.

Find photographs that you like and refer to them, think about the composition, camera angle, DOF, exposure used and let that guide you. You'll get far more out of looking at other photographs than looking at different cameras.

Whereas with the D3100 I frame the image I want, turn a plastic wheel to set the aperture I want, press and hold another button whilst turning a plastic and then trying to read the tiny numbers in the viewfinder for the settings, then press the shutter button slightly for it to focus where it thinks I want it to focus, if not I then move the AF point to where I want it to focus, it then focuses again, I then fully press the rest of the shutter button and all I get is a noise when the mirror flaps around, then everything lights up like a Christmas tree celebrating that its taken a photo - quick quick you must see it lol

I guess I have shot with so many cameras over the ages, that a different set of controls is just something to learn. With the D700, I have no problem swapping fully-manual AI-S, D—with aperture ring, and G—lenses without. It has the shutter speed on the thumb-wheel and the aperture in front for the index finger. Since like most shooters, I go with aperture priority, I rarely need to use the shutter speed wheel. I use manual for long exposures like fireworks or lightning, and that presents no problem either.

I know you can disable the rear screen and turn off the AF but the lens for the D3100 doesn't have any way to change the aperture it all has to be done with the inbuilt motor so I can't shoot it properly manual with the kit lens and even with a manual focus lens I still have to scroll the plastic wheel to change the shutter speed.

With G-lenses, apertures are all controlled from the body of the camera. On the X100 and X-Pro1, they are controlled via traditional aperture-ring controls. I have no preference for either. With the traditional controls of the Fuji cameras, there is the advantage of being able to assess the camera settings in a glance. Aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation all can be seen on the top of the camera without turning it on. On the other hand, the D700 has a screen on top of the camera that shows the complete state of the camera upon turning it on. Both methods work fine. If I remember correctly, the D3100 is too small for such a window. Of course, it is aimed at entry-level buyers with an emphasis on automatic functions.

The option of liveview is ok I guess, it does detract from the actual shooting though, perhaps good for landscapes as it can be used like the large format ground glass screen. I don't know why DSLRs have to be so much more bulky than SLRs, just change the film back for a digital sensor and put the electronics to process the image and card holds where the 35mm canister and the take up spool used to be.

LiveView is very awkward on the Nikon, but highly integral with the Fuji cameras. I find myself instinctively swapping among the LCD, and OVF/EVF of the hybrid viewfinders. For people photography, the LCD's wide viewing angle lets me drop the camera below the line of sight so I can maintain eye contact with my subject. An occasional glance will assure me the subject is still in the frame. Without the camera growing out of my face, people relax and I can chronicle life as it is lived, not life as it is posed.

I won't be purchasing many lenses and I won't be upgrading the DSLR bodies either, im not worried that the Canon 5D mark 24 has come out. I feel that some of the more modern DSLRs are like some of the newer cars vs the older models, they have basically added loads more features onto it which makes them slower and more complicated and less of a joy than the original model. I prefer simple cameras, almost as if you have just framed a shot with your hands, not too worried if its for 39 AF points with 12 cross types lol it kinda gets in the way of simple shooting.

Having shot with digital cameras for more than a dozen years, and been very much involved with the evolution of digital cameras, I perceive the direct opposite. My first camera was almost totally menu driven. My current cameras are far more efficiently organized. The D700 was a major breakthrough, opening up the night. With it, I could photograph under circumstances there were unimaginable a day before. It profoundly impacted my way of photographing, and in turn my photographs. The price of its versatility is its complexity. The manual is over 440 pages long. I had no expectation of simple shooting, however, once learned, it is a very easy camera to use in the field.

I might add, that I plan to keep these cameras indefinitely. Each completely fulfills its role in my kit, and needs no further improvement. It is not that I reject further technology, but these three cameras are near perfect in their assigned jobs. Within the next year, I will add a super-wide lens to the X-Pro kit, but nothing else is lacking. The widest Fujinon lens I have is equivalent to 28mm, while I have always made use of much wider lenses. A lot of my best work has been done with focal lengths between 14mm and 18mm. The Fuji cameras both have a panorama function, with in-camera stitching which I use a lot.

Since the D700 was shipped, great sums of research and development funds were channeled into sensor technology by the whole industry. My compact X100 has a custom sensor matched to the lens for superior performance, and the X-Pro1 has a sensor with entirely new technology—that left software behind for the time being. Two light, discreet cameras capable of matching or exceeding the quality of the D700 at any given ISO setting.

Their DNA goes back to the classic compact rangefinders with the X100, and the Contax G2 with the X-Pro1. They have little in common with a dSLR, and those who try to force them to shoot as a dSLR find they fight back all the way. These are the first of their kind, and I have had to wait through the whole history of digital cameras for them to arrive. They directly replace film cameras I owned and are used in precisely the same way. However, the photographs they empower me to take go way beyond the capability of their predecessors.

R&D is not being spent upon "planned obsolescence" where some trim is moved about and a "New and Improved" sticker is slapped on. These are actual improvements that empower photographers to capture that which was impossible with earlier cameras. Being digital devices, they too adhere to Gordon Moore's "Law" to a great extent. Just as computers continue to become more powerful without increasing in cost, so do cameras. I can photograph what was impossible, and make it look easy.

im still saving up for a photo scanner though lol

Certainly one of the best purchases I ever made. All my legacy film is now accessible for any purpose. However, I use it constantly for many other things. If I need to quote a passage of text, OCR does my typing as well as I could, but in a fraction of the time—spell checking and proofreading is still needed. It has also become my copy machine. It has let me restore portfolio shots that had seriously begun to fade. Applications for it are endless. It gets almost daily use even after more than a half-dozen years.

Back