Sigma 8-16 or Tokina 11-16?

Brian Moore

Davie got me thinking and I have been told to write my Christmas list for Santa this weekend.

Plus, Samy's Camera (a US camera chain store) has a "no tax" weekend today through Sunday. (It's the Thanksgiving Holiday today, which is always on the last Thursday in November and is always a 4-day weekend.)

OK, so I really like the ultra wide aspect of the Sigma, but I also really like the fast f2.8 of the Tokina. Plus, I think the Tokina gets a better overall review from various reviewers. (Also the Tokina is about a 100 dollars less than the Sigma, and it just so happens that Tokina's distributor/service center is right here in Huntington Beach.)

But I really like that 8mm wide!

If it was mostly for landscape--such as what I think Davie is planning for primarily on his lens decision--then I think the Sigma would be the one, since the slower glass would be less important. However, I want to do more indoor shooting, like the cycling maybe, as I have done a couple of times recently, so the fast glass of the Tokina would be good. But I also want to try some indoor wide angle such as for architectural shots. For this the 8mm wide would be better I think.

I'll be using whatever I buy on my Canon 7D. I've read though that the Tokina can be used on a full frame DSLR (not that I have one, although I do have a Canon EOS 35mm) with no vignetting at the 15-16mm range. That would be nice.

Also, you can use filters with the Tokina, which you cannot do with the Sigma. (Well, you actually can,...but its a big, expensive apparatus you must use.)

The 100 dollar price difference isn't a factor if the lens has what I want.

It comes down to 8mm wide or 11mm wide and f4.5-5.6 or f2.8 constant.

I blame Davie for this dilemma.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Both look like fine lenses Brian and the Sigma seems usable at 8mm even if it has quite a bit of vignetting. What I can say is that with your style of photography you are not particularly concerned with tack sharp, distortion free images as well as all the other stuff that dedicated landscape photographers get themselves all wet over. The extra focal range of the Sigma gives you some more creative options that the Tokina maybe at the expense of performance in some areas. Question is I suppose is the 8-10mm range of the Sigma actually something that will be more than a passing fad.

Could you take your camera and a laptop with you and try both? The shop may not have a problem if you state that you will defo take one of them home with you.

Paul, thanks for the careful response. Your idea of checking them out at the store is a good one. May give that a try. Passing fad? Time will tell, but I do like wide angle stuff, and the alternate style of view at 8mm sure seems cool. Anyway, thanks again Paul!

I saw a page on the web showing some apparatus that made filter use possible. It wasn't elegant and it wasn't cheap (according to the author, but price wasn't shown), still, it was a method of adding filters. I'll try to find it.

the filter situation isn't a deal breaker, it would have been nice to have a UV on it but hey... all other stuff like polarisers etc can be added in PP

Agreed. From what I've read the main drawback to this issue seems to be the lack of protection for the glass front element. So,...just need to be careful.

Back