Sigma DP2 Quattro Just Arrived

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Got this from the German eBay at a great price, mint condition - and it looks it.

First quick impression, and some even quicker snaps before I read the manual (actually, it's in German!).

The odd shape was odd for about 30 seconds. I really quite like it now. The camera is very light to hold, but feels solid - aluminium frame.

All the controls are easy to reach, and the menu system is even Rob-proof!

I thought focus was awful, until I realised it was on a setting for using the dial on the lens! LOL. Works fine either way. Not for sports photographers, though.

Saving time for raw files is a lot quicker than on the Merrills, I'm happy to report.

So far, so good. The images below show the 21:9 format, which will be handy once I get outside. I haven't done any colour yet, as I really love the b&w these cameras give.

More and better images will follow. So far it's a thumbs up! Minimal editing - a little sharpening, and exposure on one or two.

Tea2.jpg

rug.jpg

Books.jpg

clutter1.jpg

window1.jpg

Click any image other than the first - I forgot to decrease the size. All hand-held shots, so don't worry about the focus sharpness - these are not proper test shots!

Looking good Rob Nice crisp B+W sure it won't take you long to get the best out of it.
Noticed we may have something coming in the Alice theme from your first snap?

Really hope you get on eith the Quattro's. Be very interested as you can imagine of your forth coming shots and thoughts. I am still holding out but suspect the Dp0 will be the last to have a price drop as it is the latest of the Dp's.

Wow! I'm impressed. Am I correct in thinking that these are b&w from the camera and not colour images converted in LR?

Straight out of camera, John. I set it to b&w in-camera, which helps with composition. In the dedicated editing software - Sigma Photo Pro - there is a circle divided into three parts, RGB, and a little dot you can move around. They suggest you keep it almost totally in the blue area, which I do, and it helps get great tones in b&w. Apart from the Leica Monochrom, I can't think of a better digital camera for b&w work. I'll hopefully get better images in the next few days, as I get more familiar with the camera, and have more time to think.

Off to a good start, Rob. In terms of ergonomics, the Quattro looks awkward to hold. I imagine that is just an illusion, though. What do you think Rob, comfy in the hand or not?

Cheers, Brian. It was awkward for about thirty seconds, after which I never noticed it. Now I find it easy to hold and operate, a heck of a lot easier than many of my other cameras.

It comes with two batteries, each providing up to 200 shots - way more than I need. The controls are so easy to use, possibly the simplest camera I've had. The only negatives seem to come from guys who shoot 500 shots in one afternoon! It's not fast, but certainly faster than the Merrills.

The raw file I just looked at was 78MB. It also has high-quality jpegs at 32MB - you could avoid SPP altogether. The jpgs deteriorate above ISO 1200, but RAW is good for up to 6400.

If it's faster than the Merrill its plenty fast for me. Granted, the Merrill is slow, but being a film camera user primarily I'm usually comfortable with slow. So basically even the Merrill is fine for me. The resolution on that Quattro is considerable. You better budget for hard drive storage.

Back