Critique Welcomed Spot the Ball (US Version)

"Termite And Pest Control. INC. For A Job Done Right..." Somehow that tickles me. Not the sort of thing one usually sees at a sporting fixture, not in Scotland at least.

Fine shot, Brian. Try-X doing its job well.

"Termite And Pest Control. INC. For A Job Done Right..." Somehow that tickles me. Not the sort of thing one usually sees at a sporting fixture, not in Scotland at least.

Fine shot, Brian. Try-X doing its job well.
Thanks Rob. (Termite control doesn't tickle me at all, since my house is due a treatment!)

I think this is a great picture with everything sharp and crisp. A very telling picture and I do believe that the ball is to be found straight down from the sign " JOB DONE " into the field, right outside the inne lighter circle. My guess.:D

I think this is a great picture with everything sharp and crisp. A very telling picture and I do believe that the ball is to be found straight down from the sign " JOB DONE " into the field, right outside the inne lighter circle. My guess.:D
Your guess may be correct, Ivar. Or that may be dust on the scan. I honestly do not know. Thanks for the comments, Ivar.

Timely photo. A really good one too.

Spring training just started. The boys of summer will soon be at work. I'm a big baseball fan, especially the Detroit Tigers. Go Tigs!

Timely photo. A really good one too.

Spring training just started. The boys of summer will soon be at work. I'm a big baseball fan, especially the Detroit Tigers. Go Tigs!
Thanks John. Much appreciated.

Dodger fan on this end. (Although, to be honest, I no longer follow baseball as closely as I used to. I still love the game, though.)

Coincidentally I saw a game at Tiger Stadium 7 or 8 years ago.

By the way, I am guessing that you may not know what "Spot the Ball" was since I do not think it was an American thing at all. Spot the Ball was a game that some UK newspapers published each week. Basically it was a picture taken at a football match (soccer game) yet the ball was not visible in the image--it had been processed out. You would take a pen and mark with an X the various spots you thought the ball was located. You would use the players' body angles and facial expressions as your clues to the ball's location. You would cut the picture out and send it in along with a small fee and if you had guessed right you'd win a few quid. Something like that.

Last edited:
Nope, didn't know about that game, but it sounds fun. If the ball wasn't visible in this photo, I'd guess it was a little bit lower.

If you saw a game at Tiger Stadium, it was about twice that long ago. The Tigers moved into their new park, Comerica Park, in 1999 or 2000. I've seen a lot of games at both parks, but a lot more at the old stadium, of course. Actually, "a lot" is a bit of an overstatement. I've seen a half-dozen at the new park and a few dozen at Tiger Stadium.

Nope, didn't know about that game, but it sounds fun. If the ball wasn't visible in this photo, I'd guess it was a little bit lower.

If you saw a game at Tiger Stadium, it was about twice that long ago. The Tigers moved into their new park, Comerica Park, in 1999 or 2000. I've seen a lot of games at both parks, but a lot more at the old stadium, of course. Actually, "a lot" is a bit of an overstatement. I've seen a half-dozen at the new park and a few dozen at Tiger Stadium.
You're right, John. I had forgotten. I was at the new park. I wish I had gotten into the old Tiger Stadium. I think it was from 1917, that park. (Old time baseball fascinates me.) Its a disappointment to me that I never got to Yankee Stadium nor to the old Comiskey Park (though I was tantalizingly close to Comiskey one night while on business in Chicago, but there was a perfect storm conspiring to prevent me getting in: It was near the end of the season, the Sox were in contention and it was the third night of a three game home stand against the A's, whom they had beaten the two previous nights. The stadium was filled to capacity and I couldn't get a ticket. My main memory is of so many Sox fans carrying brooms into the stadium.) I did make it to Wrigley Field one day, though.

Last edited:
You're right, John. I had forgotten. I was at the new park. I wish I had gotten into the old Tiger Stadium. I think it was from 1917, that park. (Old time baseball fascinates me.) Its a disappointment to me that I never got to Yankee Stadium nor to the old Comiskey Park (though I was tantalizingly close to Comiskey one night while on business in Chicago, but there was a perfect storm conspiring to prevent me getting in: It was near the end of the season, the Sox were in contention and it was the third night of a three game home stand against the A's, whom they had beaten the two previous nights. The stadium was filled to capacity and I couldn't get a ticket. My main memory is of so many Sox fans carrying brooms into the stadium.) I did make it to Wrigley Field one day, though.
Never made it to the old Yankee Stadium. I have been to both Chicago stadiums. They are practically next door. :) Fans from Michigan never got a great reception at Comiskey, but Wrigley was fine for out of towners. I've also been to Royals Stadium and Arlington Stadium.

It would be nice to visit all the parks. Went to BOB once. (Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix.) Night game. After it a lot of people stuck around to watch them open the roof. Dodger Stadium many times. Anaheim Stadium when it was new and also the remodeled version. Also the really bad one in between the old and the new. Got a foul ball there once. Off Garciaparra's bat when he was with the Red Sox. (Remember him John?) Had to fight for that ball. It's a little bit of a story.

Remember him? I hope so. He had the coolest name in baseball and, if that wasn't enough, it wasn't that long ago. Not long ago to someone my age, anyway.

Back