Still Life with Leica and Film

Gary R. Smith

Shot with the Olympus 9-18mm. There's Tri-X in the Leica and the Kodak Gold 200 and Ilford HP5+ are for the Mamiya when I get it back.Leica-Film.jpg

Is that a 3F or G?
It's a IIIc. As to the Gold 200, I have no idea. I'm assuming it's just today's version of Kodacolor and I certainly can't remember what that was like. My film buying so far has been price-based. It's entirely possible that I'll transition to making purchases based on the glowing reviews of others. Used to be there were only a few film makers that were familiar to me: Kodak, Ilford, Agfa and Fuji. Now it seems like there are hundreds.

I'm assuming it's just today's version of Kodacolor

When I took analog photos, in the last years of analog before my first digital camera, I used to buy Kodak Gold for colour photographs. At the time (30 years ago?) it was considered the Rolls-Royce of colour film amongst my circle of friends and it was more expensive than other films. I don't know though if the Kodak Gold they sell nowadays is the same recipe.

I don't know though if the Kodak Gold they sell nowadays is the same recipe.
How could it be? I don't even think that Kodak actually makes their own film these days do they? I'll have to double check but I thought they spun that business off.

Well, a Google search suggests that while Kodak Alaris sells the film, they contract with Eastman Kodak in Rochester for its manufacture.

The manufacture of Kodak branded still films are procured by Kodak Alaris from Eastman Kodak. Kodak Alaris hold the rights to the sale, marketing and distribution of these products.

Back