Teacher's here! - Me and my red marking pen

Chris Bennett

Hi Hamish,
I hope you'll forgive me for not having posted on the 'who are you?' bit yet, (am I your first sinner?) but I thought I'd help you get these typo's and spelling errors sorted first as promised (or is that as threatened?)

Please don't take this as being too critical, but I think it's important for you to get your shop window absolutely spot on.

So here we go.................
(Offending items in bold, my suggestions in italics)

MEET & GREET
Please come in and start a thread to introduce your self - Who you are, the city you live in and tell us how photography is a part of your life.

Yourself – 1 word

YOUR HOBBY
If you hobby is photography this is the place to share what about photography makes you tick.

Your

YOUR BUSINESS
If you make a living out of photography, photography equipment or other wise, this is the place to tell us al about it. If you wish to become a trade member please contact the Administration.
Otherwise – 1 word

All

CRITIQUE & ADVICE
If you would like your photos critiqued or would like advice on how to get more out of an image post it here. Members are invited to be as critical as they wish, as long as it is constructive!

I’d go for a comma here, or change it to ‘to get more out of an image then post it here.’

PHOTOS TAKEN WITH
This is area is for showing photos taken with specific cameras or lenses - please state both camera and lens used. This area is about the equipment and not the photo!

One ‘is’ too many, I reckon!

BEGINNERS
If your just starting out and have a question about the basics. Even if you think its a daft question, don't be shy, we were all there once!

You’re

DIGITAL CAMERA’S
Questions and tips and tricks regarding digital camera's.

There shouldn’t be an apostrophe here in cameras (both times)
In the category below (Film Cameras) you use ‘or’ – I reckon you should be consistent or if not maybe the ‘and’ should be a comma. (Maybe I’m being picky – this is optional!)

FILM AND CONVENTIONAL CAMERA’S
Questions or tips and tricks regarding film and conventional Camera's.

Apostrophes as above

LIGHTING
Studio, flashguns, light bulbs or harnessing natural light. We would be no where
without light, thisis where to talk about harnessing it!

Nowhere – 1 word
I reckon you need a colon or semi colon here ‘…..light: this is where…..’

DARK ROOM
Discussions on tinkering about in the dark room.

Pretty sure darkroom is one word

DIGITAL SLRs
Discussion about Digital SLR camera's.

Remove apostrophe as above – also you could put one in SLR’s in the title

LARGER FORMAT
Discussion on any type of digital camera with a sensor larger than 35mm equivalent sensor.

Too many ‘sensors’ – I’d lose the first one

HYBRID DIGITAL CAMERAS
If its not that small, has a digital viewfinder and a powerful zoom lens this is the place to talk about it.

You need an apostrophe

HARDWARE
PC's, monitors, Printers, colour calibration devices....

Capital letters – you need to be consistent with your use of capitals here and for quite a few of the titles. Here, I’d lose the capital ‘P’ in printers but for your titles, I’d use capitals on every word except things like ‘and’, ‘or’ & ‘it’ (if you see what I mean!)

MEDIUM & LARGE FORMAT
Conventional cameras that use a format larger then35mm.

THAN!

CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
If you wish to sell any of you kit you are welcome to advertise it here. Please read the rules of classified sales in our FAQ.

YOUR!

OTHER HOBBY’S & INTERESTS
Books, films, TV, Cars, Hi-Fi, Food, Drink etc.

HOBBIES!
Also, watch the capitals on your lists again

One last thing – your use of an apostrophe on PHOTO’S / PHOTOS: I think either way is acceptable nowadays but maybe you should be consistent throughout – one or the other, not both!

Apart from that lot, I've got to congratulate you on the layout - it's just great. Clean & sharp. Really really good - Well done to you & all who sail in her!
Cheers Mate

Last edited:
Hope I'm not poking my nose in where it ain't wanted but can I endorse everything that Chris says, both about the punctuation and spelling bits (a bit of a hobby horse of mine but, looking back on previous writings, I often find myself being as guilty as others :eek: ). But I do think it's important, particularly in the early days, to get these things right - don't give anyone any reason to look elsewhere ;)
I also applaud the construction of the sight - it looks great, and you've got most of the topics that I can think of well covered.
Cheers,
Dave.

Hamish,
Maybe I'm nit-picking here but The Classified Ad, section has a sub-section also entitled Classified Ads - confusing perhaps, or is it just me?
Dave.

Last edited:
you can only post in the classified ads section within the classified ads section... i though it was fairly self explanatory ... but i take your point...

you can only post in the classified ads section within the classified ads section... i though it was fairly self explanatory ... but i take your point...

Hi Hamish,
Yes it's fairly obvious where to post, that wasn't my point - I just thought that it might be a touch confusing to click on Classified Advertisements and then finding that you need to click (again) on Classified Advertisements to list your stuff for sale.
I did say that I was probably nit-picking :):) .
No probs.
Dave.

mia culpa :eek::eek: :mad:

But in mytygayshon eye did sey that: lucking bak; eye often fynd miself beeing us gylti as uthurz. :p
Dave.

Back