The 645 1000s is home

Gary R. Smith

I drove over to the other side of town this morning and retrieved my Mamiya. I also purchased a different cable release since the one I had may have been responsible for the problem. It's loaded with a roll of Kodak Gold 200 which I loaded incorrectly and had to re-load, so I suspect exposures 1 and 2 will be trashed.

645 1000s.jpg645 1000s - 2.jpg

Last edited:
Just did a quick walk around the neighborhood to shoot whatever color I could see. I'm going to need to take a magnifying glass with me to see focus in the waist-level finder.

Assuming the first 2 are trashed, I shot another 5. How long can it possibly take me to shoot another 7 or 8? But then the roll will need to be sent to THE DARKROOM in California... Could be a while.

I'm going to need to take a magnifying glass with me to see focus in the waist-level finder.
So, I just purchased and received both a 10x and 20x hand glass. Turns out that the Mamiya waist-level finder has a magnifier built-in that you have to release to use. I didn't notice it was there until I played around with the 2 hand glasses that I just got. It still might be a good idea for me to carry one or the other in my pocket when shoot the 645 with the WLF.

Until I'm comfortable getting shots without camera shake I think all of the ones from the 645 will be on a tripod Ralph.

Fair-do's. Certainly makes it easier. I don't use the wlf on my Bronny much (to be shamefully honest, I don't use the Bronny anywhere near as much as I ought..😬ho-hum). A prism does make life easier, though it's still an awkward lump to hold without an 'L' bracket orr grip. I use a cheap proprietary bracket which helps a lot , though I keep thinking I ought to get the proper matching speed grip. You've probably been though all this already though, I imagine. Apologies if I'm 'teaching grandma to suck eggs'.

Apologies if I'm 'teaching grandma to suck eggs'.
None required. I'm a babe in the woods with the Mamiya. This is the 2nd one (the first went back to eBay). I had both the PD and CdS finders on the first one. Juggling a hand-held meter and hand-holding the much heavier camera wasn't a lot of fun.

I may try to find a working metered finder but I sort of doubt it.

I wish you well with it in whatever configuration you're most comfortable with. Like I say about my ETRSi, although I don't use it that often, when I do I just love the results.

Turns out that the Mamiya waist-level finder has a magnifier built-in
I was just about to say I think your camera has this magnifier. It appears to be visible in the first photo. (My Yashica LM has one and I used it a lot this past week. I find it very helpful.)

Back