The Hive

I had half and hour between 'meetings' today so I thought I'd have a quick play with the Relio lighting system.

This is an old wasp nest found in the attics in our apartment building. As you can see the setup is very simple. The hive is set on a black card sitting on a cardboard box and the background is a piece of matt black ABS that was lying around (card would have been fine). The lights (4 K colour temperature) have short snoots on them to narrow their beams and the distances lead to a lighting ratio of 4 : 1. They are running on about 80% output ('cos I was fiddling with the polarisers yesterday and Relio recommend using a reduced output to preserved the polarisers). You can alter the output of the individual heads (and switch them to strobe mode) via a tablet app as they are all Bluetooth enabled (I am slowly numbering mine so I know which head is which on the the iPad).

Given the speed which this was set up and shot (quicker than writing this), I am quite pleased with the shot especially as it was hand held.

Hive-1.jpg

Sony RX100, ISO 80, 1/25s at f1:8.0. PP in LR / Nik SilverFX Pro 2. Lit with 2 x Relio 4K heads with snoots and a right to left lighting ratio of 4 : 1.

The setup:

Hive-2.jpg

You should publish this image more widely, Pete. It's bound to create a buzz.

Hard to fathom that you could set this up and shoot it so well in 30 mins. Fine shot Pete.

Back