The Making of a DIYCam Image

I thought it might be interesting to show the whole sequence of actions involved in creating an image using the DIY Cam (http://www.realphotographersforum.c...format-paper-negative-diy-camera-project.html). Ideally this should be done using video but that would have taken too long I'm afraid, so it is a sequence of stills and text instead.

The first step is to set up the shot and lighting. Here you can see an arrangement similar to (http://www.realphotographersforum.c...2547-diy-camera-new-firmware-release-2-a.html). The subject (yet another seed pod I'm afraid!) is suspended on an articulated arm in front of a velvet backdrop and lit using a single light (Bowens 3K flash head, but using only the modelling lamp) fitted with a honeycomb diffuser.

MakingofaPodShot-12_zps7633957f.jpg

The subject is then focused using the new viewing hood...

MakingofaPodShot-13_zps032a0472.jpg

and then the viewing screen is removed and it is then off to the darkroom.

Here are two shots that give an overview of the room under safe-lighting (Ilford S 902).

This shows the wet side with the trays containing developer and fixer as well as the washer...

MakingofaPodShot-1_zpsa2d0fb6a.jpg

and this shows the dry side with the RC dryer that will be used to dry the 'negatives' after washing (it normally lives on a shelf under the film processor when not in use).

MakingofaPodShot-2_zps4919b8b1.jpg

A sheet of A4 paper is taken from one of the drawers of the paper safe.

MakingofaPodShot-5_zps0894ff0a.jpg

This is then loaded into the film holder...

MakingofaPodShot-6_zps945c29b1.jpg

which is then closed and taken back into the studio (the darkroom has a double door system so that you can come and go under safe-lighting if you wish). The film holder is then placed on the camera.

MakingofaPodShot-14_zps5cae4281.jpg

The lens is held permanently open and so the next job is to close the aperture to the one to be used (f/22 in this case) then cover it with a spare lens cap and open the dark slide.

MakingofaPodShot-15_zpsef8b179b.jpg

The cap is then removed and the exposure timed: in this instance, 2 minutes. At the end of this time, the lens cap is replaced and the dark slide is closed. The film holder is then removed from the camera and taken back into the darkroom. Once there, the dark slide is removed and the sheet of exposed paper is taken out...

MakingofaPodShot-7_zpsc8d512f4.jpg

and slid into the tray of developer and agitated initially with the tongs and then by rocking the dish gently, by hand, to create a swirling motion in the liquid. After about 15 seconds the image has started to form...

MakingofaPodShot-10_zps5e1eb796.jpg

and continues to rise in density as development takes place.

MakingofaPodShot-8_zpsa3497f14.jpg

The image is usually fully developed after 90 seconds but I always develop for two minutes. During the last 15 seconds the print is lifted out using tongs and allowed to drain before being transferred to the fixer in the next tray.

MakingofaPodShot-11_zps17738518.jpg

When doing large numbers of prints and when using fibre-based paper I would use a stop bath, but for small numbers of paper negatives I tend to skip this even though it shortens the life of the fixer.

Fixing is done for 2 minutes under constant agitation and the negative is then transferred to an archival washer...

MakingofaPodShot-4_zps6736ef78.jpg

where it is washed for 3-4 minutes (resin coated paper washes very quickly and will begin to delaminate if washed for too long - a common mistake: fibre-based paper needs a minimum of 15 minutes in an archival washer). It is then dried in a rotary drier designed for RC papers. Here the paper negative can be see emerging from the rear of the unit.

MakingofaPodShot-9_zpsfad4df11.jpg

The dry print is then scanned to give a digitised version of the negative.

PedNeg-1_zpscff857ba.jpg

This is then reversed and inverted in Photoshop.

Podpos-1_zpsaf644e8e.jpg

This is used to create the final print - http://www.realphotographersforum.com/abstract-still-life/12677-divided-ii.html#post101707.

:)

Last edited:
Pete,

You make me feel lazy!

- - - Updated - - -

In all seriousness, it's fascinating stuff! With the gear you have to hand, I can see why you enjoy this stuff. I do think that were I in a similar position id set my self and give this a sort of thing a go ... for now though, xp2 with have to suffice as my primary analogue output ;)

My dark room is a pair of trays in the kitchen for my cyanotypes lol I do wish I had an awesome dark room like that :D

First of all, it's good to see the gravity-defying top hats again.

Secondly,
the darkroom has a double door system
What would you do if HAL locked you out? Have you even thought of that? ;)

Finally, excellent reportage Pete. I was going to ask about stop bath but you answered that. 2 minutes doesn't seem like much time in the fixer; you must keep it very fresh and lively. What about camera shake when you remove/install the lens cap? (Clearly you don't have a problem with it, but I'm just wondering if there is no shake at all or if the emulsion is so slow that a little shake makes no difference or what.)

Anyway, great stuff Pete. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. Hal has no access to the darkroom - the network socket is unplugged! I've learned from Dave Bowman's mistake!

Thanks. Rapid fixer does the job in one minute on RC paper in theory but I always use 2.

The cap is only held loosely over the lens and so there is no vibration from that (and as you note, in proportion to the overall exposure, it would be negligible). Dropping the dark slide causes some but I just wait a few seconds for that the subside before starting the exposure.

Back