The Photographer's Ephemeris

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
I really must stop posting or I won't be ready for my trip, but while I'm sitting here frantically stuffing information into Word and printing it out (you can tell I don't have any new fangled technology), I was wondering if any of you use The Photographer's Ephemeris. It works with Google Earth and tells you where the sun and moon rise and set on any given day. You can put the information on a satellite image, or a map/hybrid. It probably comes with one of those smart phone apps by now, but for the moment I will have to take my paper version. I used it when I went to Somerset and I have pages printed out now for the Peak District. I can't think of anything more useful for anyone wanting to do some landscape photography :)

Actually... I've done Google Earth close up to spot lay-bys for parking and to follow tracks across fields to the best views. Even You Tube has videos of people driving up and down places like Winnat's Pass - I could even choose which vehicle I wanted. I know what the places look like before I even get there :)

sounds too much like hard work, I like the random approach or as we say on Scotland ...'Whit's Fur Ye'll No Go By Ye!'

I mainly use it when planning holidays or looking for a rental cottage etc.

Nice to know when the sun will be on the pool :)

I use the Photographers Emphemeris to check for sun rise and set just like you mention. Yes there are versions for various devices. I use it on my iPad. It's a great tool especially when traveling to new places.

In some ways I agree with you Davie, but we haven't had a holiday for over 20 years. The trips I'm taking now are a direct result of being left out of my so called old school friends' reunions. They had a couple of day trips about five years ago and I went to both. Since then it's been weekends only that I simply can't afford. There's five star camping at the farm next door to us and three years ago I asked if they could come to me so I could join in. Only one replied to say it wasn't her sort of thing. They have continued with the same weekends.

Last year my husband told me to go and we would find the money somehow and he would look after the zoo, but by that time I couldn't be bothered. I said I would rather go alone with my camera and that's why I had three days in Yorkshire. We still can't afford it, but I'm off to the Peak District in less than a week and I really have to make it count. It would be so easy to waste the precious time I have going to the wrong places at the wrong time.

I aim to be up at 4.00 every morning to catch the sunrise and I'll be out until it gets dark (or even later if I go for star trails again). I'm going to be pretty shattered by the time I get back. Shattered but happy :)

In some ways I agree with you Davie, but we haven't had a holiday for over 20 years. The trips I'm taking now are a direct result of being left out of my so called old school friends' reunions. They had a couple of day trips about five years ago and I went to both. Since then it's been weekends only that I simply can't afford. There's five star camping at the farm next door to us and three years ago I asked if they could come to me so I could join in. Only one replied to say it wasn't her sort of thing. They have continued with the same weekends.

Last year my husband told me to go and we would find the money somehow and he would look after the zoo, but by that time I couldn't be bothered. I said I would rather go alone with my camera and that's why I had three days in Yorkshire. We still can't afford it, but I'm off to the Peak District in less than a week and I really have to make it count. It would be so easy to waste the precious time I have going to the wrong places at the wrong time.

I aim to be up at 4.00 every morning to catch the sunrise and I'll be out until it gets dark (or even later if I go for star trails again). I'm going to be pretty shattered by the time I get back. Shattered but happy :)

Thats what i do as well, out when it's dark and back when it's dark :) As for school reunions, i've never been to one...I'm not welcome lol

nothing wrong in being an outcast, works for me :) The problem I find with reunions of any sort is the people involved will never let previous personalities drop. They still see me as a certain person and i'm not lol

Back