The Wheel House

Julian de'Courcy

I've tried the wobble technique, which with my other camera's has been at time quite successful. The Merrill however for some reason, with a ten stop ND filter I do not know why the metering gets messed up, but getting a good exposure is not easy. Anyway I gave it another go today and came away with maybe three shots that gave me some hope that I could use this camera using this technique to capture some abstracts. What I did achieve certainly gave very different results to my other camera I use for this, the Canons, Sony's and Olympus. Here is one of those shots. The Wheel House a restaurant and cafe'.

The Wheel House.
Sigam DP2 F5.0 1.6 sec, iso 100

MEVAGISSEY by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

This is a lovely effect Julian.
What exactly is the Wobble technique. What sort of camera movement as you press shutter?
Any advice appreciated.
Thank you Tom. I try a shutter speed that enables me to give camera movement throughout the exposure. Some call it ICM, Intentional Camera Movement. I enjoy the images produced this way a lot. There is always the accidental and therefore nice surprises.
I have posted this type in the past, some which I quite like. Could not find the original post, for the link.

I'm fond of a bit of the old wobble myself. The first reminds me of the acclaimed first ever photograph by Niepce, or however you spell his name :oops: The second is a classic!

I'm fond of a bit of the old wobble myself. The first reminds me of the acclaimed first ever photograph by Niepce, or however you spell his name :oops: The second is a classic!

Thanks Rob. The second is the OM-D and 12mm lens/ 24mm in real money. There is a lot of difference in the images from these two cameras.

Thank you Tom. I try a shutter speed that enables me to give camera movement throughout the exposure. Some call it ICM, Intentional Camera Movement. I enjoy the images produced this way a lot. There is always the accidental and therefore nice surprises.
I have posted this type in the past, some which I quite like. Could not find the original post, for the link.

Great stuff Julian.
I had seen some beautiful abstracts on your website a while back and wondered then how you achieved it. In this one it also looks like a double exposure. I rarely experiment beyond the odd d/exposure. I'm feeling inspired now. Thanks for your explanation.
Rob I'm thinking that this is the technique you might have used in the b/w abstract of the lady sitting in a corridor a number of weeks ago?

Very different to what you have achieved in the past Julian and, on its own, a good shot. The lighting on the right hand side is more effective though. Worth pursuing I think.
Thanks Pete, I find it odd the vast difference in using the Sigma's. A lot harder to capture, I cannot work out why this may be so. The only thing I can think of is that the Sigma's are more sensitive to getting the exposure correct.

Back