Tulips

Paul Lange

I finally got off my butt to take some photos and had plans to join in on the Cala Lilly theme, but the problem was I couldn't find any. I did find these rather nice Rainbow Tulips instead. These are the initial batch and I hope to take some more on the weekend. It's been a while, I wasn't sure if I would remember how to the the camera and flash on manual.

These first two are a colour version and a partially solarised toned version. The solarisation effect in Colour Efex 4 is a bit brute force but there is plenty of variations to try.

_DSF9126-Edit.jpg by Paul R Lange, on Flickr

_DSF9125.jpg by Paul R Lange, on Flickr

This is more heavily solarised. Not quite there but I like the general effect.
_DSF8805-Edit.jpg by Paul R Lange, on Flickr

Here are a few more with different effects, all the BW has a bit of solarisation although subtle on some.

_DSF9057-Edit-2.jpg by Paul R Lange, on Flickr

_DSF9037-Edit.jpg by Paul R Lange, on Flickr

_DSF8968-Edit-Edit.jpg by Paul R Lange, on Flickr

In all an interesting experiment and I quite like the effect from solarisation, but it doesn't work well with all lighting situations.

All beautiful, Paul, and it's great to see you contributing again. The solarised ones - apart from the heavily solarised one - are very subtle, and work quite well, I think. I would never had guessed you had used the Nik solar filter on them, but the effect is quite beautiful.

Thanks guys, The first one is my favourite from the bunch. I do like the solarisation effect but it does seem to lack the subtlety of the real process. I stuck the 3rd image up just for interest really. It's good to be back too. I have a new job and more time on my hands now.

What a great set. I like the first very much and the colour variant maybe even more. I like the combination of rich colour and deep shadows. The last is particularly satisfying I think. It has a great sense of rhythm and apparent movement. Like some aquatic plant moving with the flow.

Back