Critique Required Two landscapes that don't quite work - or do they?

I think there are both effective, although the second is the stronger image I think. Is that mist or smoke in the first? Actually I rather like that it is not clear which it is: in there second it looks like both!

In the first image the band of mist / smoke creates a sense of mystery I find and one wants to know what it is hiding.

The second is more conventional I suppose, but you have resisted using a large depth of field and the layers of focus work perfectly I think as do the layers of focus.

I think there are both effective, although the second is the stronger image I think. Is that mist or smoke in the first? Actually I rather like that it is not clear which it is: in there second it looks like both!
Mist. It does look a bit smoky... but it's just H2O.
The second is more conventional I suppose, but you have resisted using a large depth of field and the layers of focus work perfectly I think as do the layers of focus.
Interesting. I actually felt that one was a bit more adventurous! I don't know why actually. Depth of field, yes, I didn't give a lot of thought to it at the time, but the foreground is a lot closer to camera.
I think even stopped down to f16 or so it wouldn't actually be entirely sharp. And call me a fusspot, but if I can't have it sharp I prefer it to be properly blurry! 😆

Thanks very much for your feedback - it's always much appreciated!

Back