Under the streets

It is a sad, uncomfortable image on which one should perhaps suspend aesthetic judgement. But after all, why should one? I believe that what makes it interesting are also its 'imperfections' (the overall softness, the person on the stairs cut too much or too little, the misaligned geometries, the burnt lights and the non-black blacks) which increase unease in the viewer, while at the same time evoking thoughts, be they memories, fantasies or interpretations. It has something of the printed magazines of a few decades ago.

As I walked past her, I said to myself I'll not photograph the small human bundle she was. But as I am ready to walk up the stairs the other side of the passage, I just turned my camera and snapped the image. At the mercy of the AP setting, and with the focus as it was pre-set previously. You know, sometimes we just do what the brain told us not to. Strange that...

A strong image, Julian, sort of documentary style or something. Leaves one pondering the fate of the poor soul. I can understand your discomfort in taking it, presumably that feeling of taking advantage of someone's plight. Then again, perhaps it's these sorts of images that can help remind us of the plight of folks in this predicament, maybe opening the door to a little more compassion. Thanks for sharing.

As I walked past her, I said to myself I'll not photograph the small human bundle she was. But as I am ready to walk up the stairs the other side of the passage, I just turned my camera and snapped the image. At the mercy of the AP setting, and with the focus as it was pre-set previously. You know, sometimes we just do what the brain told us not to. Strange that...

I believe you made the right choice in taking the photograph for several reasons.

1. The person is not identifiable, so there is no violation of privacy or disrespect towards them – I’ve taken worse myself!
2. Your intent was either artistic, documentary, or perhaps a bit of both.
3. Today, I was watching a wonderful video by Ivar Dahl-Larsen on YouTube – also shared on this forum – which featured a selection of his remarkable photos from his life and travels around the world. As I watched, I kept thinking, ‘What an exceptional photo! What an invaluable documentary resource for those who may study human communities at a certain time and place.’ And, photo by photo, I found myself considering: ‘This one could still be taken today, but that one could not, due to privacy concerns.’

This raises the question: what do we lose, and what do we gain, by strictly adhering to privacy ethics? We all know that privacy is a lovely abstract concept, which only ordinary people like us seem to respect, while those in positions of power couldn’t care less. I walk down the street and can count dozens of cameras recording me (even in my own garden, thanks to my neighbours). I go on Google, Facebook, Amazon, and they track me. I enter a shop, and they track me. I go to work, and there’s a camera behind me, and so on. Do we really want to stop documenting our everyday lives and leave the monopoly of future history to those in power?

So much media coverage of wars and deprivatoin around the world can reach saturation point and our senses just shut down. But this image touches me for its deep sadness that a human being can be brought to this obvious state of despair. A very moving image Julian.

We are indeed subjects of limitations and many time, interdictions in documenting what we honestly believe it to be a good image for us, as humans. We should pursue this interest (and at times, can even be a civic duty); that said, we also are responsible to act in a decent, professional and privacy-awareness manner. Weighing the where, the what but mainly the why of taking a photograph. Fully assessing and understanding the impact of the photograph we take and show to the world.

Back