Voigtlander Bessa R2A Review

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Edit: Since writing this post, I have reviewed the R2A and R3A on my blog here

The Voigtlander Bessa R2A is a 35mm rangefinder camera that takes Leica "M" mount lenses and LTM (Leica Thread Mount) lenses with an adapter.
It has framing lines for 35,50,75 and 90mm selected via a switch on the top of the camera.
The viewfinder is 0.72x magnification.
It has a centre weighted TTL light meter with a LED projected shutter speed read out in VF.
I'm fairly certain the 'A' in the name stands for 'automatic' or 'aperture priority', either way, this level of automation is available on the R2A.
It has an electronic vertical focal plane shutter with speeds from 1 to 1/2000th second and bulb.
Accepts film from 25 to 3200iso.
Has a manual shutter and film advance level.
It runs off 2 LR44 batteries.
Has a non TTL hot shoe ...
... And that's about your lot.

This is my R2A.

_DSC1066.jpg

Here you can see the frame line selector, film rewind and the fact that I'm missing the screw in eye piece.

_DSC1068.jpg

The shutter speed control dial also allows the user to select ISO, and when on aperture priority dial in +/- 2 stops of exposure compensation.
The shutter release has a thread for either a soft shutter release or cable release. It also has a lock to prevent accidental release.

_DSC1067.jpg

On the back of the camera there is a slot for reminding the user of the type of film is inside. There is also an exposure lock button.

_DSC1074.jpg

The camera is made mostly from metal with a rubber grip and a few plastic parts. The quality of build is quite evident in the knurled metal film rewind.

_DSC1075.jpg

The camera does have a very solid feel to it, and the rubber grip does work well.
The shape of the grip on the back leads the thumb comfortably to the exposure lock button.

I find the addition of Voigtlander accessory grip improves handling allowing a more satisfactory grip of the camera without having to squeeze it so tight. The grip also allows both ends of the strap to be attached to the one side of the camera which I find a more comfortable way to carry the camera. Unfortunately I find the strap then gets in the way of a comfortable hold, so I attach my strap to the opposite side of the camera, like so ...

_DSC1065.jpg

Others, I'm sure, will find different ways to attach the strap/carry the camera etc. more suitable for them. This is just what works for me.

When the camera is set to aperture priority, ie. the user sets the aperture on the attached lens and the camera sets the shutter speed itself, the selected shutter speed is projected into the view finder.
When aperture priority is not in use, the selected shutter speed is shown as well as the required shutter speed. The required shutter speed blinks, and the currently selected shutter speed doesn't.
It's very simple, but very effective and takes little or no getting used to.

The viewfinder itself is a wonderful thing, very bright, with a very clear rangefinder. The rangefinder is coupled to the lens, meaning that adjustments to focus on the lens are reflected in the rangefinder. It also means that the framing lines are parallax corrected.

This is the best I could do as far as demonstrating the viewfinder. You can see the shutter speed has been set to 1/60th. The frame lines visible are 35 and 90mm

72ae6461-2.jpg

When selecting either 50mm or 75mm they show individually, 35mm (the widest) and 90mm (the longest) frame lines share a setting.

This is a cropped version of the above image showing the RF my indicating my Nikon F in focus.

72ae6461-1.jpg

This next image shows the RF indicating the Nikon F out of focus.

c313e642-1.jpg

Please excuse the quality of the image, they were taken with an iphone and cropped quite a bit...

The RF base which, as I understand it, is the distance from the RF to the viewfinder is quite short, this in theory is a disadvantage especially when focusing long lenses. I have also previously owned a Leica M6, I found my shots with my 75mm Voigtlander lens were no more in focus from the Leica which has a longer RF base. Maybe under close examination or with a 90mm lens or longer, a longer RF base might be an advantage? I have never found the short RF base in the Voigtlander an issue!

So overall, how do I rate the R2A?
Well, I used to own a Leica M6, I needed a bit of cash one day and I chose to keep this camera and sell the M6! This is mainly because of the aperture priority of the R2A (I like to shoot aperture priority). The Leica M7 has aperture priority but I can't afford one of those ...
So is the Voigtlander a poor man's Leica? Well yes, in reality it probably is, but it compares very well with one! The main, and possibly only downfall of the voigtlander in my opinion is its metal shutter, it is a lot more noisy than the cloth shutter of the Leica!

The Leica will probably also last 6 lifetimes longer. I have in my 3ish years of ownership of the R2A had one issue with it where in it stopped allowing me to rewind the film, this was fixed by tightening a little screw on the top of the rewind knob. I had no issues with my Leica for the time I owned it and it was 20 years old!

The M7 also has TTL flash, I have never required this as a feature...

So yes I do rate the R2A, very highly in fact! It's significantly more affordable than the Leica equivalent, is very easy to use, handles well and in combination with pretty much any of the Voigtlander lenses takes great photos... and of course can be used with any Leica M mount or LTM lenses of which there are countless numbers available - ranging from cheap Russian optics off ebay for less than a tenner, all the way through to the top end Leica lenses at many thousands of pounds.
It is also a rangefinder, an obvious thing to say maybe, but if you are yet to experience using one, I can very much recommend it!

The R2a is about £600, is available new.
The lens in the photos is the 35mm 1.4 which is about £450.

Last edited:
Good write-up Hamish and a pretty fair summary. I too never found much difference with the rangefinder base but I guess with a very fast lens the Leica might provide an advantage. The viewfinder on both the MP and the M8/M9 are quite a bit brighter than on my Voightländer but the Bessa is certainly not dim and is very bright anyway. The only problem I had was that the rangefinder drifted out of adjustment at longer focal lengths but this is easy to reset using a pair of screws hidden under the hot-shoe. The plastic window of the frame counter also came adrift and would occasionally block the shutter release. Probably easy to fix but just a gentle shake freed it anyway. As you say, the biggest difference is in noise of the shutter and sheer build quality.

Nice review Hamish. Very informative. By the way, I love that it says "1756" on the back. Man, that's a long while ago.

There is a bit more on RF base length etc at camera quest here http://www.cameraquest.com/leica.htm Perhaps explains why I didn't have better results with my m6 and 75mm??? ... Not sure, I'm a bit too tired(possibly just too thick) to get my head round it at the mo... Anyway, like I said I have never had issue focusing with the r2a...

Anyway... It's just not quite leica in build is it Pete, a little worrying that you also suffered issues, but I guess these are the costs of mass production vs Leica's hand made gear! It's really not a fair comparison in a lot of respects ... The leica m7 seems to cost £3000 these days! Yeah, I always thought it a little odd that they mention that date, a date that predates photography ... :)

Which ziess icon did you say you had Pete? (or did I imagine that)

Well, yes... it predates photography by about 80 years or so, but as I recall I believe Voigtlander was an optics company before it was a camera company. I suppose it was lenses for telescopes and eyeglasses they made. I think its wonderful that a company can trace its history that far back.

I like the Cosina made Voightänder gear very much and they have done a lot of good for RF in general. They also of course make the new Zeiss Ikon (the one I have Hamish) and it is a very nice camera and of a slightly higher build-quality than the Voightländers. They also make most of the Zeiss lenses to Zeiss specification and using the T* coating including, I believe, the CP.2 series. And these ara all excellent and the ones I have definitely seem to produce the Zeiss 'look'.

That's an interesting link for RF systems. The RF designed for the 'new' MP I knew was supposed to be the most accurate and brightest and was the basis for the M8/M9 I believe. it is certainly brighter than my M6. The 75/1.4 is a tricky lens to focus in general (hence i rarely use it), especially at full aperture and I find the 90/2 much easier although I usually use 50 and below on my RF's.

It is nice to see a name continue that has such a great history in optics and photography (http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigtlaender/voigtlaender_cms.nsf/id/pa_historie_e.html) but these days it is just licensed for use by Cosina for their 'traditional' camera and lens lines. Still, they are continuing the history of RF and 'traditional' camera design so I think it quite appropriate and, give the passion, of their CEO I don't think, like some who have commented, that is is a cynical use of a name at all. More a mark of respect.

While on the subject of RF base measurements, here is a quick shot showing the (small) difference in the base measurement of the RF of a Leica M6 vs a Leica M9. You can see that the separation of the VF window and the RF window is a fraction longer on the M9 than the M6. The M6 is full frame 35mm film and the M9 is FF digital. Just for completeness here, the M9 is fitted with a Summilaux-M 35mm 1:1.4 ASPH lens (set to f1:2.4 and fitted with a B+W UV filter) and the M6 is fitted with a Elmarit-M 28mm 1:2.8 ASPH lens (set at f1:11 fitted with a UV - IR filter as it was last used on an M8).

I always find it interesting seeing various Leica's sitting together as you can see the 'evolutionary' history of their design so clearly. The M9 even has a removable base plate like all of the M series but in this case not to slide the film canister in but to get to the battery and SD card!

LeicaRFs-1.jpg

Do you have an m3 Pete?
That would make for an interesting addition to this show of kit...

1266421492_74763505_1-Pictures-of-Leica-M3-Olive-Bundeswehreigentum.jpg

Not changed much in 56 years have they... If it aint broke ...

Do they still make these? I would love to get a rangefinder, but I would want a 35ish mm lens. Anything between 35-40 would be good, but 35 would be ideal. No way I can afford a Leica, my dog food budget just won't allow it. :)

Back