Critique Welcomed Wall Art

Bill Watts

Testing the repair I completed on my Kiev 4, The wind on would jam after about 12 or 13 exposures and the fork that turns the take up spool would drop off!, the clutch had been reassembled without the spring!

Camera: Kiev 4 (Contax III clone)
Lens: Kiev Arsenal, Jupiter 8 50mm f2
Exposure: f16, 1/250s ISO 200
Film: Fujicolor C200
Scanner: Epsom Perfection V600 Photo,
Software EpsonScan II, Affinity Photo

Kiev 4 006a.jpg

Considering the rap that Soviet cameras get, especially ones built in the late 1970's onwards I don't think this is bad at all. The lens is very sharp, but basically it is a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar recalculated to compensate for soviet glass. The camera could do with a CLA, in cold weather it tends to cap speeds due to the grease getting sticky! The built in light meter still works pretty accurately provided you convert ISO to Ghost!

I really like the light in this photo and the framing that does it justice. Nice composition.
The quality of detail, when enlarged, is low, but perhaps this is due to JPEG compression.
I won't comment on graffiti because I have ambivalent feelings about graffitis: at first I liked seeing the work of these artists (in some cases they are really good), but now they have invaded my city - with the complicity of the public administration, which every two years organises a season of widespread decoration in the town - and are ruining buildings designed by great architects or transforming entire neighbourhoods into a colourful and somewhat kitschy fair of synthetic enamels destined to crumble into flakes like confetti.

Back