Critique Welcomed Wants To Be Seen

Brian Moore

"people who consciously put themselves on display and expect to be noticed"

The above is a quote from @Peter Roberts recent post, The Spiv, and it reminded me of this photo I snapped at Santa Anita Park in Southern California some years ago. Normally I attempt to be uber-stealth when I shoot pictures of people but not on this occasion. This lady wanted to be seen.

Olympus OM2n with expired Fuji 200 film.

There are such people. I've come across some of them as well, and it usually hasn't been a bad encounter. Other times it was (bad), like today when I happened to meet three underage boys and one underage girl, who maybe had been drinking or were hormonal, and wanted to be photographed (which I didn't). I was photographing a skyscraper behind them and I hadn't even noticed them, but they thought they were the center of the stage. Next time run away before they notice you ;-)

There are such people. I've come across some of them as well, and it usually hasn't been a bad encounter. Other times it was (bad), like today when I happened to meet three underage boys and one underage girl, who maybe had been drinking or were hormonal, and wanted to be photographed (which I didn't). I was photographing a skyscraper behind them and I hadn't even noticed them, but they thought they were the center of the stage. Next time run away before they notice you ;-)
Your story reminds me of this image, Gianluca. I was photographing an old hotel in Louisville and I became conscious of some light mockery being aimed in my direction. It was these two young chaps, valets for the hotel. It was all in fun and I knew it but I put a hard set on my face and walked directly at them. My action alarmed them, and I could see that in their faces. This surprised me and actually made me feel ashamed. But I asked them to pose for me and that broke the tension. You see here the pose they struck.

You're a good people-person, Brian. I'm not, and tend to avoid them altogether in my photography, though actually that's not entirely true. I do have some humanoids in my files. Now that I think about it, that's why I like photographing protest marches, as everyone wants to be seen. That's why they're there.

Back