Whisky

Dave Green

Any fans of a good Whisky here?

I bet there are :)

I've been sampling the old and new Talisker offerings this week. I'm a big fan of their basic 10 year old. Probably one of my favourite "everyday" whiskies.

Having this week had a few drams of the new(ish) Storm and Port Ruighe - I like them both. But bought the Storm.

I like it . I like it a lot! It's very similar to0 the 10 year old with just a touch more of a step in the Islay direction.

Ooooo, what a great idea - will have a glass of Bushmills in a bit

I toured the Jameson distillery in Dublin years ago, and they brain-washed me into preferring Irish :)

Ooooo, what a great idea - will have a glass of Bushmills in a bit

I toured the Jameson distillery in Dublin years ago, and they brain-washed me into preferring Irish :)
Chris,...not to put to fine a point on it but Dave was talking about whisky, not whiskey! (Big difference! ;))

Dave yes! I, for one, am a big fan of good whisky! (@Chris Dodkin: :p)

I also like the Talisker.

I don't mind a good Whiskey - Irish or American :)

But a good Whisky will always attract me more. Current favorite is Aberlour a'Bunadh - if you haven't tried it - trust me - it's wonderful!

Always on my list are...

Ardbeg (Esp the Corryvreckan and Uigeadail)
Bruichlladich
Lagavulin

This is one place I love to experiment with. I'm a beer drinker and single malt lover generally...but lately I have tried a few Irish Whiskeys...this month it was Powers.

Whisky I like mine toward the fruity end of the scale ... Had an Auchentoshan "three wood" not so long ago that was particularly nice. Else, a lot of the bars I drink in around these parts have a Balvenie 12 which is plenty drinkable and not too expensive.

Day to day though, at home, its a Whiskey in the form of Jamesons, which for the cash is very nice I think!

I have drunk the stuff for a long time, but its only recently that I have started trying to identify a few that I like and compare them to others that I have found I like ... If you follow? ... So yeah, great thread!

I quite often get the bartenders to let me take a pic of the bottles I like to help me remember them ... just iphone snaps of course ...

Here is the auchentoshan

944224_10152988412605357_1517327007_n.jpg

Nice
and reminds me, Glenlivet 12 is another cheapy one I have enjoyed lately ... It was in asda for £22!
Happily for us over hear (and sadly for yous over there) we can get The Glenlivet 12 y.o. for about $24. Whisky is much less expensive here. Its also different,...meaning that the strength is different. Here it's 86 proof. In UK it's less. Some will say its the same. No!

The US version is the same whisky.

US "Proof" units are different from UK "Proof" units.

E.g. a standard 40% ABV Whisky is 70.1 UK Proof but 8o US Proof.

My last bottle of Aberlour a'Bunadh was 62% ABV (It varies with each batch) - that's 109/124 Proof! Yikes!

Although I'm not a real connoisseur I have been known to partake in a nice Single Malt or two and have tried a few different types. Glenfiddich being a particular old favourite and more recently Old Pulteney being sampled a couple of times. I found Laphroaig a wee bit smokey/peaty for me but with a dash of water or lemonade just to take the edge off it, it was rather nice.

Here's a quick pano' of my "Trophy Shelf".

Recently while in South Wales I popped into a Distillery in Wales to try a tipple of Welsh Whisky and bought myself a bottle of Penderyn "Portwood" for a Special occasion.:D

Back