Instax Landscapes

James Popsys had a go at this fairly recently, with inferior results IMO ;) but it's very interesting. Never used an Instax, or any instant film, but I get the feeling it's very much about choosing subjects that come across without needing detail, sharpness, etc. I've seen some wonderful results, including yours Rob!

I've just watched his Instax video by the seaside. Not great. But it is hit and miss with these cameras, and an another day and different lighting conditions, he might do better. I think I sold mine as at £1 per shot, it can easily mount up, and you might only get one good shot out of ten. That said, looking back, I like these images.

I think in 2015 your only choice for Instax wide was color film. B&W film has been available for some time. I have some in the fridge downstairs that I've been meaning to shoot. I remember back then,...when you first got your Instax,...that I really liked the B&W treatments you were getting in post-processing; they seemed much more meaningful than the color film.

That's right, there was only colour film available back then. To render them black and white I had to put the prints in my mouth and suck the colour out of them. I had a rainbow tongue, though, but that started a few interesting discussions. Youngsters today don't know how lucky they are!

Great to see these again, Rob and you most certainly should get another Instax camera.

I'm quite a fan of instant film although I only appreciated it as an 'artistic' medium after stopping using it for work (and after seeing the marvellous manipulations that Ralph Steadman did with the Polaroid SX capsule films: you can move the dyes around with a stylus before they stabilise - he created a wonderfully cruel 'caricature' of Maggie Thatcher). We used polaroid peel-apart film to test exposures on some technical shots way back, but the main use was on microscopes, mainly onto 5x4 and often in mono, which gave both a usable positive and negative to use later. Polaroid also made a microscope adapter for the SX70 (and I still have one) that was useful for a quick record.

After Polaroid ceased to be I found a few boxes of SX70 in the fridge and used it for general use and liked the results a lot. In fact I still have some 5x4 material in the fridge that isn't getting any better. Anyway, then came New54 and the Impossible Project (now called Polaroid again) and although pretty 'interesting' in the early days (New54 had to give up due tp supply chain problems) it is now back close it its old self.

I hadn't tried Insta until fairly recently though, but was tempted by a 5x4 back that Lomography produced. I must dig out the shots, and do some more. A company in Hong Kong also produced a back for Hasselbad V-mount and I bought one, but have yet to try it, but I will, spurred on by these images. Thanks, Rob.

Back