Port Mulgrave - North Yorkshire

Shaun Haselden

Back in 2007 I was living in Pickering, North Yorkshire and was advised by a photographer friend that I should go to Port Mulgrave. I did, and I took these photographs using my then Hasselblad 500CM with 50mm Carl Zeiss lens. Film was Fuji Acros 100 which was developed using Paterson FX39. I would happily go back to this camera/film combination where it not for the chemistry involved and the mess.

I left the area in 2010 due to things not working out very well and returned to my home on the Lincolnshire coast. I loved this place though but won't be visiting ever again due to severe osteoarthritis in my left knee and the fact that you have to descend and climb a cliff to gain access.

Attachments

• Port Mulgrave 2007 1.jpg
    Port Mulgrave 2007 1.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Port Mulgrave 2007 2.jpg
    Port Mulgrave 2007 2.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Port Mulgrave 2007 3.jpg
    Port Mulgrave 2007 3.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 14
Well well, there's a name and a photographic style I recognise. Very nice, as always!
Hi and how are you Sean? (Chris (TGW) ex-of AoS here).

Chris, good to hear from you again. How are things with you..? How was Christmas for you..? I still visit AOS but now that I have the most perfect system to my ears I do not spend on hi-fi any longer. Of course there are still the people there that belittle 'your' system because that is their way but I have exactly what I want now and will not be buying anything else anytime within the next five years. Regarding photography, I adore it as always and still bemoan the passing of my analogue days but I passionately do not want to go back into a darkroom or even develop film anymore. I do though miss photographs of the tonal quality of these here though. Here's hoping that all is well with you Chris. Have a damn fine next year.

Hi Sean, thanks for your kind wishes and yes, I am well thanks.
We had a nice quiet Christmas over at our house in N. Lincs, where my daughter now lives, which is, presumably, close-ish to you unless you have moved since we last spoke.

I didn't know you had switched so completely over to digital - your single minded championing of analogue photography was quite inspiring.

As for hifi and forums devoted to it...well what can I say?! AoS became way too influenced by the commercial input for my liking, so I left and started my own forum with MartinT and John. Now we have somewhere that we feel is much more comfortable to be. It's great that you have settled on a system that you can be happy with for the long term. That's where I have been for some time and it's great, isn't it?

I hope you and yours have a superb new year and maybe we will 'see' more of each other here in days to come.
Cheers

Last edited:
Chris, I still do appreciate that silver halide photography provides a level of quality and delicacy that digital does not but I am so disillusioned by printing papers these days compared to the 70's that I no longer see a point in darkroom printing when to me it is such a compromise. In place of that I now get to manipulate my images and if I wish to, print them onto beautiful cotton fibre papers which help the presentation no end. I particularly love Hahnemuhle Albrect Durer paper and its surface weave. The nearest I ever got to my idea of perfect printing was liquid emulsion coating onto water colour paper. Absolutely loved it but Jesus what a faff.

Hi-Fi..? Yes indeed it is great to be at the end of a very long road and in my true tradition I ended up with valve pre and power and a primary vinyl front end. Enough said, I like to listen these days.

Thank you for your kind wishes. I have recently gone back to riding motorcycles so I am hoping above all that 2018 is a safe one.

Fine set of pictures, really like them. I love the contradiction of urban graffiti in a "middle of nowhere" location.

Back